First off, I've got to say I love the ductopus' you guys have posted and am happy to report I don't have one in my attic!
Just recently found the forum while researching for a replacement central air system.
I've got a 2637 sq ft 2-story home in the California desert. Highs in the summer average @ 105 and push my electric bill to unheard of highs.
That said, I'm getting reading to replace my 22 year old Carrier 5-ton, 10 SEER system. The current furnace is a Payne that was installed 4 years ago to replace a recalled furnace that burned down a few of the homes in our tract.
I've got a quote for 3 Carrier options:
1) 5-ton, 15 SEER Performance 24APA560A003 (Puron) with evaporator and programmable t-stat.
2) 5-ton, 14 SEER Comfort 24ACA460003 (Puron) with evaporator and programmable t-stat.
3) 5-ton, 13 SEER Builder 24ABA360A003 (R22) with evaporator and programmable t-stat.
All 3 options include:
1. New sheet metal supply plenum.
2. New refrigerant, drain and electrical connections with a new fused disconnect.
3. Replace deteriorated flex duct.
4. Remove old furnace in attic.
7. Removal and disposal of the old equipment.
I'll be here at least another 4-5 years and my wife's comfort is the #1 priority.
I've ruled out the Builder and am leaning toward the Performance as the cost difference between it and the Comfort isn't that big a deal.
Considered Infinity, but contractor said running on high would essentially bring the 21 SEER down to 15 anyway, so 15 would be best.
Given the high summer temps here I don't know if the system would ever get off the high speed or not.
Does the Performance sound like a good system for my application?
Or would the Infinity be a better option?
TIA for any input,