webs open vs. closed

i read a tac tip on webs open jaces. it stated you can't program a spyder through the jace. you have to plug into the spyder directly to download it.

i don't know the difference between a open and closed webs jace. can anyone enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post
    i read a tac tip on webs open jaces. it stated you can't program a spyder through the jace. you have to plug into the spyder directly to download it.

i don't know the difference between a open and closed webs jace. can anyone enlighten me?
    It's the license. A closed webs only allows the HW version of workbench to engineer. An open one allows any version of workbench to engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by 2^3 View Post
    It's the license. A closed webs only allows the HW version of workbench to engineer. An open one allows any version of workbench to engineer.
    Right...Niagara NiCS. The Tridium liecnsing model allows vendors to permit/restrict other Niagara vendors to access their box. For example, if you attempted to take a Tridium Workbench tool and program let's say a JCI FX-40, it would likely not work because the manufacturer tools do not match up.