+ Reply to Thread

Thread: manitowoc ice sensor

Post Likes

manitowoc ice sensor

Im working on a Manitowoc IB unit and the water level sensor has gone bad. Can't find a replacement for this model anywhere over the weekend. Anyone know if you can temporally substitute something for this sensor?

Post Likes
    Is it just the sensor that shorts to ground to let the board know the water level is okay?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Yes

Post Likes
    You could technically use a wire poking down to the same level as the bottom of the probe, but it works against the concept of how clean ice machines need to be :grin:

Just out of curiosity, how did the probe fail? If it's sensing water prematurely, try soaking it in the cleaning solution for half an hour, then thoroughly rinse with water and allow to dry. The same goes for the ice thickness probes. They can look clean, but they're not.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I've done the wire truck before. It works. Also, you can choke down the inlet water supply/flow and leave the probe unplugged. This is hard to get adjusted right but a manitowoc will only allow the full to run for the first like 6 or 7 minutes no matter what the probe says. So if you choke it down so it fills slow enough that the pan doesn't overfill before the board hits it's max fill time then it will actually work OK until you can return. I had a dual evap mani run like that for two weeks before I got back. It was just a little slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    What problem are you having with the probe?

I would try thoroughly cleaning it, and drying it good.

Post Likes
    I've had luck cleaning them when they won't sense water, but when they are saying full when you have the probe out in the air, I've had little luck with any cleaning. Seems like moisture gets up into where the wire connects to the steel probe when the silicone fails over time. Clean,dry,clean, dry, blow out. Nothing.

I even had one that was a board problem. Touch the terminal on the board with anything metal, even a screwdriver and it said "full". Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    What problem are you having with the probe?

I would try thoroughly cleaning it, and drying it good.
    Hey that's a great idea, wish I suggested that!

Oh, wait, I did. :grin:

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I had an s model a while ago where the water level sensor failed because the heat shrink wasn't sealed on top and the wire corroded. Been checking for that on cleanings now, and have found a few more where the heat shrink wasn't sealed.

Post Likes
    I've had more problems with nickel safe machine cleaner causing a false signal. I just figure it's like an electrolysis effect between the metal and the chemical

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheeman View Post
    I've had more problems with nickel safe machine cleaner causing a false signal. I just figure it's like an electrolysis effect between the metal and the chemical
    What cures that is to rinse with fresh water and blow the sensor dry with nitrogen.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in