Thread: Anyone recommend getting condenser & coil from an internet store?

Post Likes

Confused Anyone recommend getting condenser & coil from an internet store?

I'm wondering what the pros & cons are from buying my equipment directly from an internet store and simply hiring an HVAC contractor to install it? Is there a reason I shouldn't do that? Seems like it will be a lot cheaper (unless the labor costs more than the unit totals which I highly doubt).

Anyone have experience with that site?
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-31-2014 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Removed direct purchase site's name

Post Likes
    Unfortunately there is no cure for cheap which you are inflicted with. Don't worry you'll find out soon enough.

Post Likes
    You probably won't find a competent tech to install it because that's not how we do business. We supply it, we install it and we warranty it. You may be able to pay some Craigslist hack to put it in but your system will most likely have worse problems shortly after. Good luck.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I'm sick of internet techs who think they can read up on installing an ac unit. Oh never mind there still are folks who respect industry and small business you know the American way.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by magikman View Post
    I'm wondering what the pros & cons are from buying my equipment directly from an internet store and simply hiring an HVAC contractor to install it? Is there a reason I shouldn't do that? Seems like it will be a lot cheaper (unless the labor costs more than the unit totals which I highly doubt).

Anyone have experience with that site?
    Personally If u contacted me I would not do the install. There were a few occasions where I was coerced into doing the job. I did it with zero warranty on the equipment. I only guaranteed the quality of my installation. I figure that you're being cheap
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-31-2014 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Name in quote

Post Likes
    If I did do a job that way, which I wouldn't, I'd charge the same mark up if not more than if I supplied the equipment. You'd likely end up paying more doing it that way than the way we do business and you wouldn't have a warranty. manufactures warranty is voided for Internet sales.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    You probably won't find a competent tech to install it because that's not how we do business. We supply it, we install it and we warranty it. You may be able to pay some Craigslist hack to put it in but your system will most likely have worse problems shortly after. Good luck.
    OK but what do you mean by warranty; like a yearly contract? I thought (most) products come with a manufacturer warranty of 10 years. Is there another warranty that the installer usually provides?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    If I did do a job that way, which I wouldn't, I'd charge the same mark up if not more than if I supplied the equipment. You'd likely end up paying more doing it that way than the way we do business and you wouldn't have a warranty. manufactures warranty is voided for Internet sales.
    Ah OK. Wasn't aware of that. Great info and makes sense NOT to do it that way. Thanks!

Post Likes
    OK but what do you mean by warranty; like a yearly contract? I thought (most) products come with a manufacturer warranty of 10 years. Is there another warranty that the installer usually provides?
    almost all manufacturers void their warranty on internet sales. It's on their websites due to hacks who don't know what they're doing installing the equipment or worse yet installed by a DIY. So in short equipment bought on the internet =no manufacturers warranty. That's what we're talking about. Feel free to Google it yourself.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by superfittertech View Post
    almost all manufacturers void their warranty on internet sales. It's on their websites due to hacks who don't know what they're doing installing the equipment or worse yet installed by a DIY. So in short equipment bought on the internet =no manufacturers warranty. That's what we're talking about. Feel free to Google it yourself.
    Just did and you're right. Thanks for the info!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Unfortunately there is no cure for cheap which you are inflicted with. Don't worry you'll find out soon enough.
    Yup. Very true.

Post Likes
    CONS -
    ___ Warranty issue
    ___ Likelihood of an inadequate installation is at least tenfold
    ___ Performance issues could last the lifetime of the equipment
    ___ Equipment lifetime will be significantly reduced

___ You still have The Opportunity to screw up again by contacting a hack that you
    _ _ find through a Big Box Store (i.e. Lowes, Joe Depot, Sears, ..., ...).

PROS
    ___ The money that is burning a hole in your pocket will not be an issue ANYmore.
    ___ You will have a new career talking to 'the next' technician.
    ....... PAY ME NOW or PAY ME LATER

___ Great opportunity to learn over the next decade or so that in _shopping for the cheapest_ that you get what you pay for. THEN when you become sick, you might not shop for the cheapest doctor, and _ _ end up Getting what You PAID FOR.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Wow, you guys really get really salty when people suggest stuff like this. I'm a little surprised at the outright ridicule and name calling. It doesn't make us pros look so professional.

I personally have no problem installing a unit purchased online. As long as the purchaser/homeowner understands and signs off that I am not responsible for warranty issues or problems arising from the sizing/selection of the units, what's the issue?

Most manufacturers will not honor warranty on internet purchases, so the big drawback is if you have a warranty issue you will have to pay me for a repair and chase the warranty down with your supplier. I don't recommend DIY installs, but I'm sure if you call around to a few legitimate shops you'll find a licensed company to install it for you instead of having to scour Craigs for a hack.

Not all of us sit on a high horse.
    "We always fix it right the second time".

All posts are strictly my opinions and not those of my employer. I cannot make statements on behalf of my employer.

All advice posted by me is for educational purposes only, HVAC repairs should only be conducted by trained & qualified people.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dougfamous View Post

I personally have no problem installing a unit purchased online. As long as the purchaser/homeowner understands and signs off that I am not responsible for warranty issues or problems arising from the sizing/selection of the units, what's the issue?
    The main reason I will not do it, is if an issue does come up, who is the HO going to blame? "He bought a brand new unit!!!! It shouldn't have ANY problems!!!! It must have been something the installer DID!!!!"

Over the past 4 years I have received 2 DOA units - 1 flat heatpump, 1 leaky coil - Since they were purchased locally issues taken care of that day.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Let me expand on my previous post:

Scenario1. : I provided the equipment and warranty:

Youf have a leaky indoor coil, We will be out there tomorrow with a replacement and take care of everything. Period.

Scenario 2: Internet provided equipment

HO: I have a leak in the coil.
    Internet: ok sir, what is your credit card number to we can send your replacement coil?
    HO: What? Its warranty?
    Internet: Yes sir, when we receive your old coil back and verify its bad, we will credit you back the coil!
    Ground shipping you should have it next Thursday.
    HO: What? I have to wait a week without AIR?
    Internet: No Sir, Do you want to pay for next day Air? $$$$
    HO: What? Your website said Warranty!!!!
    Internet: Yes Sir, You have a warranty. We will send you the part and credit back your cost (except for shipping) when you send us the defective part back.....guaranteed......

Ho: ok, I will call my installer

Installer: Yes sir, when you get the coil in, we will install it for $xxx
    HO: What? I think it must have been something you did or didn't do because it was "brand new"
    Installer: No sir, you signed a piece of paper saying there is no labor warranty.\
    HO: Okay.

But it doesn't end there......
    Wife: What is taking so long!!!!?
    Ho: I have the part coming overnight....the installer will be here after I get the part and put it in!
    Wife: Ok, I Told YOU, just get someone local to Do IT!
    HO: We will have cooling next week

Wife:It's why I told you to just have a good local company do the job!
    HO: Its not my fault!!!! The coil failed!!! But, I think it was caused by the installer!....Not ME!!!
    Wife: Well, Don't pay them if you think they did it!!
    HO: yes dear........

Next Week

Installer: We Are Done that will be $xxx
    HO: no, I have to get my $xxx back from internet company to verify the coil was bad! I will pay you after that........but I Think you caused it.......
    Installer: UH........

Why in the He!! would a pro get involved with that potential Mess????
    Last edited by beshvac; 05-31-2014 at 01:25 PM.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dougfamous View Post
    Wow, you guys really get really salty when people suggest stuff like this. I'm a little surprised at the outright ridicule and name calling. It doesn't make us pros look so professional.
    I agree! We should just "politely" let them know there is no warranty on internet sales, and let it be.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in