Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got ADP coil instead of Carrier

Hi experts,

Thanks for the info on this site - I've learned quite a bit here as I was trying to pick a system.

I recently got a bid for a Carrier 58cvx 80% furnace with 24ANA736 condensor and an "3 ton enhanced cooling coil." I assumed the coil was a Carrier unit and when I got the contract it stated "Carrier cooling coil PT7636." I talked to the installer when he arrived and he stated that it would be a Carrier coil. Then the system was installed and it turns out the coil is an ADP PT7636. I didn't watch the full install but asked the installer before he left about the ADP coil and he said that ADP is the same company as Carrier. That doesn't seem to be the case by either company's website. Other than this the system install looks good. The label on the coil says it is R410a, which matches the condensor, and the label says it has a TXV. I can't find any info on the PT7636 on adpnow.com. I did find it via a search in www.ceehvacdirectory.org. The "EnergyGuide" label says the AC is 17 SEER but the ceehvacdirectory results show it is 15.5 SEER.

I'm pretty miffed that they stated Carrier and installed a different brand. I know nothing about ADP. Did I get ripped off? Is this a big deal?

Thanks!

They put in what they had listed on the contract.

Not uncommon to have a third party coil.

That may be a Carrier part number for that coil.

Few matches get the Yellow tag SEER thats on the OD unit.
    Yoy may get better comfort from that match up, then with an actual Carrier coil.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

that is not a carrier coil adp stands for advanced distributor products.as an installer of carrier equipment i was always told by supplier if condenser is not matched with a carrier coil , the compressor warranty is voided

If that's not a Carrier part number, then I'd say the contract is a bit deceiving.

Quote Originally Posted by workhc View Post
    that is not a carrier coil adp stands for advanced distributor products.as an installer of carrier equipment i was always told by supplier if condenser is not matched with a carrier coil , the compressor warranty is voided
    I think you'll find you have been misinformed.
    Carrier doesn't void warranty on Spacepacs, or Unico's.

That could be a Carrier distributors part number for that coil.
    Its also the number they listed in the contract.
    Third party coils are common.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

ADP coil

Most distributors sell ADP coils because they are cheaper to buy than the Carrier coil. We sold both. The ADP was sold for less money. If you buy a Carrier system, then it should be a Carrier system that is matched & tested by Carrier. The ADP coil with Carrier condenser was never tested by Carrier. If the dealer gave you a choice between the Carrier & ADP coil, then its your choice. If not, and they implied that the ADP coil was a Carrier coil, I feel that was fraudulent.
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.

I too feel like that was deceptive. If the contract states a Carrier coil, then that's what should have been installed. If it states a cooling coil, the ADP is fine.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

When we use an ADP or Aspen coil, we put in the contract the same thing as we do with an OEM coil. Model # XXX outdoor unit with matching coil. We don't specify brand, but by saying matching we mean ARI match.

Very likely the ADP coil came from the Carrier supplier. Personally I'd trust one of them for reliability over the Carrier coil.

Thanks for the replies. I did read them when they came in and mulled it over, then went out of town so this is why I haven't posted an update.

The bid stated "enhanced cooling coil" and the contract stated Carrier coil. I do think it is deceptive that they did not install the brand on the contract. However, since some of you said that 3rd party coils are not unusual, and one of you said that the ADP coil may be better quality, I decided to let it slide. The contract states that the Carrier equipment carries a 10 year parts and labor warranty, and it states "Carrier Cooling Coil" so I will hold them to that if I have a problem with the ADP coil. I have photos from the day of the install. Also this company has been around for many years and was recommended by a couple sources, so I think it's safe to let it slide. Thanks for the responses because before reading them I was definitely feeling ripped-off.

ADP coil

I can assure you that Carrier will not cover that ADP coil on their extended warranty. You never know how long your installing contractor will be in business. But, its your money & decision.
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.

Our local distributor also stocks ADP coils. As to the SEER, ARI.ORG has some combinations of outdoor+indoor+coil ratings. Just plan on extra time to make sense of the way the web site works.

Quote Originally Posted by nottoocool View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I did read them when they came in and mulled it over, then went out of town so this is why I haven't posted an update.

The bid stated "enhanced cooling coil" and the contract stated Carrier coil. I do think it is deceptive that they did not install the brand on the contract. However, since some of you said that 3rd party coils are not unusual, and one of you said that the ADP coil may be better quality, I decided to let it slide. The contract states that the Carrier equipment carries a 10 year parts and labor warranty, and it states "Carrier Cooling Coil" so I will hold them to that if I have a problem with the ADP coil. I have photos from the day of the install. Also this company has been around for many years and was recommended by a couple sources, so I think it's safe to let it slide. Thanks for the responses because before reading them I was definitely feeling ripped-off.
    I would definatly contact the installer and present your questions to them. The key item with your ADP coil and Condensing unit is too ensure they are the same tonnage.

I would also be questioning the 10 years parts and Labor. I have not heard of a contractor offering ten years labor warranty. Very suspect unless you purchased an additional warranty with your install that would cover labor.

OK, so I called the office. The 10 year parts and labor warranty was included with the price and is an extended warranty. He said I should be getting info from Carrier in about 2 weeks. I have the paperwork for the regular Carrier 5 year warranty. The ADP coil apparently has a 5 year warranty, but they haven't given me the warranty paperwork (yet). He said that his Carrier distributor supplies ADP coils and that the ADP coil has higher efficiency than Carrier. He said it is extremely rare for the coil to fail.

As for tonnage, both inside and outside units are rated the same and are matched as to refrigerant.

About the SEER, I used the www.ceehvacdirectory.org a while back to find that the AC combo is 15.5 SEER.

Given the misleading contract that stated Carrier coil with 10 year warranty, I suppose I could call back and demand that he get a 10-year warranty on the ADP. But other than that I think I'm OK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast