Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Goodman 2-stage shuts off after 10 mins in the second stage

Folks,
    both my next-door friend and I have installed the Goodman GMV950905DX two-stage variable speed furnaces. We now have the same problem both of us.
    If I crank the temp up by 3-4 degrees GMV950905DX will turn on the second stage for 10-15 mins, but GMV950905DX will shut off the furnace without reaching the desired temp while call for heat remains on the t-stat, red light on the control board blinks when furnace stops (can see it through the window). It will turn itself on in 15-20 mins again. Feels like it overheats, cools down and then turns back on.

The same contractor that did both jobs is quite puzzled and he says he never saw it on Goodman GMV950905DX and he installed quite a few. He is suggesting that exhaust blower motor is shot and causes this behavior but problem is that it is very unlikely that both furnaces have bad motors.

Asking good folks here for suggestions on what that could be.

Thanks in advance.

The installer needs to come back with a multi-meter and figure out which limit is tripping out. (Rollout, high temp, pressure)

If he starts guessing, call a competent technician from another company.

Make sure that the filter is clean and open every supply vent. Ensure that all return air vents are not obstructed. Condensate issues cause by improper venting or drain piping can cause this problem.

It should be easy to track down and fix.

IMO, doubt it is equipment related.......probably design or installation error...

If the guy is trying to correct it, give him some time, we sometimes work on so much stuff we get tunnel vision , not knocking his expertise, but a new set of eyes on it could resovle it..... been there, done that.....

Folks, thank you for the suggestions. I will ask him to come back. I am certainly not going to interfere with his work, he is a pro and he knows what is doing, I hope. I agree several heads are better than one but I appreciate advice from this forum and I see that sometimes the most challenging issues are resolved here.

Quote Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post
    Folks,
    ....It will turn itself on in 15-20 mins again. Feels like it overheats, cools down and then turns back on.
    This is strange because the main blower fan does not shut off in a high temperature event and usually will cycle on within 2 minutes..

There may be more too this....

Sounds more like a pressure switch tripping then a limit.
    Give the installer a chance or 2 to get it fixed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Angry Any HVAC-TALK member contractor in Chicago land

Hi again,
    contractor is saying that he does not know what is wrong at this point and he stopped answering phone.

Folks, need help, if anyone from Chicago is willing to help, I would appreciate. Now in the morning we are cold, after the furnace tries to recover from the nighlty 64 degrees to 70, it works for 10 mins brings the tempreature up by 1-2 degrees and shuts off, so when my little boy takes morning bath he is cold and the furnace is off cooling down or something. First stage takes good hour to warm the house after the night cool down.

Desperately need help. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Does an open pressure switch event kill the main blower?

Blinking light

They should be looking at the fault codes, the blinking light should tell you something. Most furnaces have a fault code sticker one them to tell you where the problem is, others you have to find in the tech guide. If he didn't check the fault codes I wouldn't have much confidence in him. Worst case if he can't figure it out he should be calling the factoey for help! IMO

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Ahh yes and I bet it's condensation collecting in the exaust blower that causes the pressure switch to trip. The rubber hoses that are field installed to the cumbustion blower and header cover may not be installed or aren't draining properly. Possibly he didn't install the factory supplied elbow with the drain port. Just a thought, could be wrong.

Not sure which error you have (how many blinks?) but the only two problems I've had with that model was factory provided gunk in one of the drain lines and a section of drooping hose filling with water. Is stage 2 set for sufficient airflow. Do you have sufficient airflow?

The light blinks three times, heat is set at profile B, I think he told me, and adjustment tap is normal (meaning no - / + 10%).

When second stage comes on it is very obvious it is on loud and forceful.

Quote Originally Posted by crmont View Post
    Does an open pressure switch event kill the main blower?
    Not sure on your model if it will keep the blower off.
    But an open limit keeps the blower on.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast