Distech, Fact or Crap??????

My office is beginning a new Relationship with Distech, and using the controllers as well as the Branded Jace, any one have any comments on real live exp. with the control line. Good, Bad and Ugly. Just wanting to know what I am in for. Thanks

yes crap and ugly

They are fine. The AXplugins are free. As open as open gets. Seem to keep up with software revs with AX. The ASC controllers do the job and the free progs are very cool, and of course the Jace is a Jace . The only drawback may be Tech support, the frenchies are hard to get ahold of sometimes.

Rolo doesnt like them because they dont have a receiver controller as a option in their product line. And he doesnt have anywhere to use his squeeze bulb.

I would be surprised if he even has indoor plumbing yet.

BTW: Rolo I love your avatar. Sums you up pretty good.

AX Plugins for DISTECH

Could you describe the plugins in more detail. Just how configurable are their controllers? Do they come with a "canned" application and you just set things like Min/Max Flows, and other setpoints? Or can you really get into some really nitty-gritty programming?

I don't use AX (strictly LNS), but from what I understand, the AX plugins are just like the LNS plugins. The controls are solid. The plugins are feature-rich compared to others I've used (mostly Honeywell's) and the freely programmables, while slightly quirky due to not using floating point math, are very flexible and capable and there's really nothing you can't do. They even have a freely programmable VAV controller (I've never used one for VAV, but I've got one mounted on a 3-way valve in my house, running all my hydronics along with a Honeywell XL12 DIO I had lying around). Their support is excellent most of the time (they can be hard to get a hold of sometimes, as stated). I just had a call from their R&D department this morning informing me they had made a special APB file (application program) for me to fix a problem I was having with their HPU-L controller (APB to be officially released next month). Plugins are free, updates are free and easy to get and they're continually improving the product.

I'm sure they are nearly at a GPL for their programmables because their competition is....

their gpl will go into beta in 1st Q, 08, from what i know

also a little fly told me circon's cbasic is/will be free soon, is this true?

Maybe start thinking about GPL there Amigo..... for all the trouble I've had lately they do have a very nice complete CBasic library.

CBasic?

I like the physical hardware of Distech, but the basic? Really.

I remember programming a Radio Shack TRS-80 from cassette that had 100 times the power (heck, my wrist-watch does now). Distech's basic is NOT basic, it's a modified basic calculator (without floating even). You get 7 functions, that's it. No goto statements, no jumping, nothing really that is part of BASIC vesion 1.0 programming from 1982. I just get upset when people think that Distech uses Basic programming. It's not basic, it's 'just enough to do what you need within limits' programming. Monitoring and troubleshooting? Forget it. No real time monitoring available. Study each line of code, because you'll be looking at it alot.

poochz
    There is a way that seems good to man, but in the end leads to death.

I was talking about Circon Basic (cbasic). I don't know what Distech calls their programming language, although it is far more rudimentary than Circon's basic.

I agree that Distech's programming language is pretty minimal. On the other hand, I have yet to find a sequence of operation I can't do. Regarding troubleshooting, I'd like them to be able to show values within the code, but you can monitor your point values on the internal points page. And if you properly comment your code, finding problems is no big deal. Temperature controls are a pretty specific type of programming. It's not like writing a game program or developing a spreadsheet or any of the thousands of things a general purpose language is expected to do. Besides, the GPL is on the way as are improvements to the language including goto and in-code monitoring.

Smile Good controls - Graphical Prog due 2008

We have used distech for over a year without major problems. The basic programming on FPC's is a little cumbersome but anyone with HVAC experience can get it. There are some nice energy and controls features (Temp reset, Optimum SS, etc) that are built-in and work well. Combined with an iLON you have a very cost effective web based system.

Distech allows you to log within the free programmable controllers which is the closest to monitoring you'll get without an iLON. As long as your job is $20k+, there is no reason to not build an iLON into the job, even without graphics. Just the ability to remotely access you program and make changes makes it all worth it. And the iLON will give you much more for monitoring and allow you to set up notifiers with alarms, etc.

As someone else said, open as open gets. No proprietary BS there. We've been using them for almost 5 years and are a favored vendor of ours.