Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best work Truck

Lurch,

We're looking at getting that same truck. Is yours the 3500?
    What do you think of Knapheide vs. Reading?

I'd prefer the KUV, but I don't think you can load a 56k vaporizer into one without tearing something up.

My boss just leased 2 new GMC sierra 1 tons, with the Astoria Canopy Plus system. Pricey, but really nice. You can customize it a lot of different ways.

We're currently running '04 Chevy 3500HDs, 11' Knapheide service body. GVWR 11,400. Has the 8.1 gas engine (454 in drag?). Can't get that engine in that truck anymore, only in the 4500 so we're looking at diesels instead. Also going to an extra cab, so I'm losing a compartment with the 9' body.

Supposedly the newer Cummins turboDs are a bit quieter. I used to drive a '97 and you had to turn the engine off to order at a drive thru.

Here's what we get to work out of.
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

my ideal work truck would be a F-250 Power Stoke Diesel sitting on 38 inch boggers with a reading or knaphied work body

this way i can drive right out onto the beach after work everyday!!!

but i don't own the company
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    my ideal work truck would be a F-250 Power Stoke Diesel sitting on 38 inch boggers with a reading or knaphied work body

this way i can drive right out onto the beach after work everyday!!!

but i don't own the company

the one i had before my kuv was a f-250 4x4 with a morriville body on 35" BFG all terrains.

never went to the beach with the work body on it, when i get around to scrapping out the work body and putting the regular bed on it might make it.

Heres the best work truck I have ever had.

Bob its an 2007 Ford E450, 6.0 PSD, 14 ft Rockport walk-in body, rear ramp door, dog house above driver, curbside door, utility boxes are accessible from inside also. 14,000 lb GVW, inside dome lights, central locking system, sliding cab door. I have put the backup camera system, bench vise, all of the slotted angle, still have an inside pipe tube and inverter to do. I really love this truck and get comments all the time. A supply house on wheels. Good luck in your search. Pics below.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

More pics

Some more pics, its a little crowded right now as we are getting busy.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

slobber, slobber, drool drool!

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    the one i had before my kuv was a f-250 4x4 with a morriville body on 35" BFG all terrains.

never went to the beach with the work body on it, when i get around to scrapping out the work body and putting the regular bed on it might make it.
    just bring your own tent and cooler
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by bob hubbard View Post
    I have seen some nice reading work beds in the past and really like trucks better than vans . Anyone use a Truck body with a work bed instead of a van ? Pros & cons . Thanks
    Here's my old beast. Needs a little TLC this year, but over 200K and still kickin'..(It's a 94 turbo diesel/5sp) For me, I also need to plow a few rentals in the winter, and I'm not to keen on the getting stuck part, so 4x4 it is. Only worked out of a van once for about 6 months and couldn't stand it. All the sh!t bangin around all day is too much for me. I like it quiet.

Pro's: Much quieter than a van. I put a lift gate on for the heavy stuff. (Oil tanks, LP tanks, boilers, fp's, whatever) 4x4 so I don't need to turn down any calls when the weather is ugly. Easy on, easy off with the ladders. Your stuff is out of sight and out of mind. (A lot of crap tends to migrate into the cab once and a while.)

Cons: Very careful packing to optimize the space available. All the usuall stuff will go into the single wheel body including all the tools you'll need for whatever, reclaimers, tanks of gas, torches, etc..., I have the body split side to side. Tools are on the passenger side in case I'm parked on the street, and parts are loaded into the drivers side. Everything has it's place in my truck, and as long as I stick to that rule, then space isn't a problem.

I'm due for a new truck eventually, but there's two barriers. #1, One of the highest tax cities in the country. (Mil is 55 right now) and #2, Ford wants almost 50 grand for the brand new equivalent of what I have now. (Not to mention the laughable problems with the new 6.4TD) This old clunker runs good, ok on fuel, doesn't cost squat on the taxes and it's cheap to fix.

Soup to nuts breakdown.
    It's a 94 f350 IDI turbo diesel, 5sp trans, 4x4. Straight exhaust and some speed tweaks to the motor, Used to run an LP setup to mess with the PSD guys.

Body is a Knapheide SRW 8 foot. Williamson top boxes welded down, homebrew ladder rack, E-track tie down system. Lift gate is a Thieman 1500lb electric/hydraulic. Plow is a Fisher 8' speedcast commercial. Body wired for lights and 2500w inverter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12