Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lose of Heat Through Duct Work

How can one stop the lose of heat through your heat ducts?

I would like to make my Heat Ducts more effect but would like to know how one can do it?

Think hard.

Insulation.

This is one reason why High Velocity systems such Velocity Plus from Espi Tech are becoming more popular/ They are all rated r8 with no leaks. It is a huge time saver and factory sealed system.

Quote Originally Posted by ITB CO View Post
    This is one reason why High Velocity systems such Velocity Plus from Espi Tech are becoming more popular/ They are all rated r8 with no leaks. It is a huge time saver and factory sealed system.

I am ether missing something or I need to be informed about this?

Yes I need my ducts insulated.

You are the man to inform me what I need to do.

Air moves through insulation and for the non-believer, just know that air FILTERS are made from the same material as the most popular insulation, fiberglass. So the real answer is first to thoroughly seal the ducts to stop air from going into or out of the ducts anywhere except within the treated space. Once you've got the ducts completely and thoroughly sealed (not with duct tape) then you can insulate to great advantage. Don't be fooled either. The high velocity systems are no more leak proof than any other using flex duct if they're not installed properly. Furthermore, the high velocity systems start out with a lower SEER rating and so are not as energy efficient to begin with. So even if their ducts were more leak proof, the trade off is in loss of efficiency up front to loss of efficiency through the ducts. The HV systems do have a place in life, somewhere but ease of installation (meaning higher profits) is the reason some contractors install those systems. Other companies sell their systems at a high enough profit margin that they can install very high efficiency, super quiet, systems with thoroughly sealed ducts.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Listen River rat,

You heard skippedover, he is right. skippedover knows what he's talking about!!

Al

The Velocity Plus system from Espi Tech llc is truly different. It is I beleive the only Hi V system rated at 13 seer. It is 300cfm/ton and they have a 3 inch system that greatly reduces cost. All fittings are included, pre drilled, and a unique air distribution box that simplifies balancing and NO sound attenuation is needed.

It saves time, R8 and a real option to laying out your duct, insulating /cutting etc. You should check them out. What is scary though is a plumber could set this puppy up get into the air distribution segment big time.

If 'ya can't dazzle them with brilliance...then baffle them with BS

Can you do this with ducts that are 34 years old? Or are we talking about something else?

My house is 34 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by River rat View Post
    Can you do this with ducts that are 34 years old? Or are we talking about something else?

My house is 34 years old.
    Only if you want to replace your whole duct system! I don't know why they are leading you in this direction. High velocity duct systems have there place but both conventional and high velocity will do a great job if installed and designed properly. With high velocity you will have to change equipment also, but if your equipment is as old as your house you would want to do that anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by ITB CO View Post
    The Velocity Plus system from Espi Tech llc is truly different. It is I beleive the only Hi V system rated at 13 seer. It is 300cfm/ton and they have a 3 inch system that greatly reduces cost. All fittings are included, pre drilled, and a unique air distribution box that simplifies balancing and NO sound attenuation is needed.

It saves time, R8 and a real option to laying out your duct, insulating /cutting etc. You should check them out. What is scary though is a plumber could set this puppy up get into the air distribution segment big time.
    They still require load calculations (room by room) to deliver proper airflow for house to be balanced, we can't even get our own industry to do that, what makes you think plumbers will? There is no magical peice of equipment out there to solve our problems, all it takes is good design.

Quote Originally Posted by falkenater View Post
    They still require load calculations (room by room) to deliver proper airflow for house to be balanced, we can't even get our own industry to do that, what makes you think plumbers will? There is no magical peice of equipment out there to solve our problems, all it takes is good design.
    AMEN to that!!
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

What materials for a DIYer?

retracted post
    Last edited by mtamara; 12-19-2007 at 05:48 PM. Reason: DIY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast