+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: health hazzards of hvac work

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyp19 View Post
    As long term damage goes my hands after 30 years of doing this. Carpel tunnel and arthritis damage is starting to take its toll.

Neck problems from getting into strange positions is second.

I rarely get cold, flu, and allergy problems. I attribute that to breathing nasty air in AHU's etc. keeping my immune system active.
    I currently have carpel tunnel in both hands.

Post Likes
    I think i'm screwed for carpel tunnel for sure then, been boxing for 8 years and doing the HVAC gig for the last 6. Don't plan on stopping either of them anytime soon. We only get one ride, might be short but make it sweet.

Post Likes
    Not so bad. Riding bucking bulls is worse.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Chemicals in pvc glue and cleaner will make you sterile.
    Neck pain from holding either a flashlight or phone to the ear.
    The hazards of working alone, falls or electrocutions.
    Dust, dirt, debris and funk in an old air handler you just tore out just got sucked into your lungs.
    Catching a lung full of burning freons.
    Lifting heavy things by yourself.
    I would say the effects of stress as well.

Of course if you are lucky you will get mugged or killed while working in the hood, and not live to be old enough to have the aches and pains of old age.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Apprenticanic View Post
    I think i'm screwed for carpel tunnel for sure then, been boxing for 8 years and doing the HVAC gig for the last 6. Don't plan on stopping either of them anytime soon. We only get one ride, might be short but make it sweet.
    Knock 'em dead, Champ.

My father and grandfather were both boxers, though never professional. Still like to see a good fight now and then, but I don't care for the "ultimate fighting" that's popular these days.

Post Likes
    I removed a dead possum two months ago. I asked the dispatcher what to charge. My flat-rate book doesn't have a dead critter removal fee.

Post Likes
    going through a ceiling comes to mind

Post Likes
    Let's see...after 22 years of this: bad back, blown out both knees, permanent ligament damage in my ankle from a fall, carpal tunnel in both hands, bad tendons in my arms, shoulder pain, foot pain, pain pain pain. Unfortunately for me (or maybe fortunately) narcotic painkillers don't work on me. I just sort of deal with it. My hands are so jacked there's days I can't cut tin at all, or I'll just drop things unexpectedly.

As a side note, I've had many lungfulls of phosgene from brazing compressors. It kinda tickles and clears my sinuses in a jiffy.

As for sickness, I do what I can to keep it to a minimum. I use rubber gloves for removing animals or nests, I keep alcohol wipes in the truck to sanitize, and when I am sick I stay home and recover rather than try to soldier on. No job is worth getting pneumonia over.
    "We always fix it right the second time".

All posts are strictly my opinions and not those of my employer. I cannot make statements on behalf of my employer.

All advice posted by me is for educational purposes only, HVAC repairs should only be conducted by trained & qualified people.

Post Likes
    The oil-based duct sealer can cause brain damage from prolonged use. Especially in areas without proper ventilation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nolefan View Post
    The oil-based duct sealer can cause brain damage from prolonged use. Especially in areas without proper ventilation.

But, but...they said it would keep the Alien transmissions from getting through...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dougfamous View Post
    ...and when I am sick I stay home and recover rather than try to soldier on. No job is worth getting pneumonia over.
    I think I have been dealing with that for the last couple of months. Was sick for about a month and then it cleared up, then got sick again with the same symptoms. But I didn't have the option of not working. I did take one day off last Friday after doing one service call. Went home and rested.

Post Likes
    Along with those transmissions no oxygen gets through either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in