Thread: R-410A and R-22

R-410A and R-22

Hi,

If I'm switching from a R-22 sytem to R-410A system (16 SEER), do I have to replace the Line sets (assuming they're the same size for both systems)? One contractor said no problem and the other said that they don't trust the solutions used to clean the line sets and that they will need to be replaced.
    Thanks in advanced.

i prefer replacing...flushing the lineset is the last option
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...that way you are a mile from them and have their shoes

the only way i would even consider leaving an old lineset is if there is no way to run a new one

If you really want the "best" opinion on this because I personally am mixed on this myself, I would call the mfg. of the new equipment your about to purchase and ask them, because the mfg. will be the one that you might be dealing with in the future. or your contractor might be dealing with, "always" if you can get your info from the horses mouth is what I was always taught.

Take 5 minutes and call the mfg. they will be happy to help you, if not well you don't want there product anyway.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Well, I called them, as Mr Bill advised, and they said if it was the same size that flushing them would be fine.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TX1930 View Post
    Hi,

If I'm switching from a R-22 sytem to R-410A system (16 SEER), do I have to replace the Line sets (assuming they're the same size for both systems)? One contractor said no problem and the other said that they don't trust the solutions used to clean the line sets and that they will need to be replaced.
    Thanks in advanced.
    I would replace the line set. The cost isn't that much greater on a complete new unit. Yes, they can be flushed but why bother. If you want a 410A system go with new line set.

Quote Originally Posted by cep a/c View Post
    I would replace the line set. The cost isn't that much greater on a complete new unit. Yes, they can be flushed but why bother. If you want a 410A system go with new line set.
    Maybe you should be calling or writing the mfg. and telling them that they should consider your opinion when talking to customers or prospective customers .
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

I have been told by both carrier and trane factory reps that it is not necessary as long line sizes are correct. I was told they used to thnik the mineral oil and poe oil would gel when mixed together. They have now found that the mineral oil will move just fine through the system. I dont see any problems with flushing a reusing as long as the manufacturer is ok with it.

We've switched dozens of systems from 22 to 410 and didn't flush or change them. We have had exactly ZERO problems. You do have to make sure that they are sized properly. You do have to make sure you have a filter drier installed. If you had a burnout on the 22, then you need to follow appropriate cleaning procedures, but that has nothing to do with 22 to 410, just getting the poop out of the lines.

You can either flush or replace, as long as the old lines are the right size. The question is, is the PITA of flushing the old lines worth it? And you DO need to clean them, even though some have gotten away with it, the mineral oil isn't a happy lube in a 410 system.

Quote Originally Posted by TX1930 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks in advanced.

I've just completed replacing my old R-22 AC unit with a brand new Bryant Evolution, 2-stage heat pump. The old lines never leaked, never had any compressor problems, but the suction line was a little oversized (7/8 old, 3/4 new). I replaced the entire lineset with new. The analogy is, when you buy a new car, do you keep the old radiator cap and put it on the new car? How about the radio? Maybe the steering wheel? If you want new, it seems to me that means the whole enchilada. The lineset is an integral part of the system. Why cut corners? You're spending thousands and cutting corners in $10 bills. Doesn't make sense.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    The analogy is, when you buy a new car, do you keep the old radiator cap and put it on the new car? How about the radio? Maybe the steering wheel? If you want new, it seems to me that means the whole enchilada. The lineset is an integral part of the system. Why cut corners? You're spending thousands and cutting corners in $10 bills. Doesn't make sense.

Here we go again comparing cars to air conditioning and I have yet to see one car to
    a/c example make sense, and here is another one that don't IMO.