SharkBite Fittings

I am looking for some advice about using sharkbite fittings. Would you trust them in a second floor install (under floor) I have used them before in my home but only in spots where I can see and get to them easy if I had to. (work well) Second floor install they will not be easy to get at once installed.

Thanks very much

I don't think anyone can truly know if those things will last as long as we hope. A well done soldered fitting will last decades upon decades. SharkBite has plastic-nylon-whatever bits to it. It seems doubtful that it'll have the same longevity.

I used SharkBite once when I was in a pinch. I love them for their ease (didn’t have to get the pipe dry). But I can’t imagine doing a big job with them.

Way to expensive to do more than two or three fittings. I use them when I'm in a pinch and need to tie copper into pex.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    Way to expensive to do more than two or three fittings. I use them when I'm in a pinch and need to tie copper into pex.

they work for copper to pex cool nice to know

i ave used them a few times when in a pinch but they are costly compared to solder fittings

i would never even think of useing shark bites in a place you cant get to if it were to go bad. as was said soldered fittings last for decades

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    they work for copper to pex cool nice to know
    Also CPVC
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

They do work great, and most of all, I like the ideal it can be used with CPVC, PEX, and Copper!

I've used it a couple of times, and I think it's a timer saver if you are in a rush, to close for comfort with the flame or in a pinch as well.. But not for a whole house!

After all of this I think the real question is.....do YOU feel comfortable using them on a second floor application?? The few I have used worked flawlessly in a basement, but would I use one where I couldn't get to it? Nope....just my 2 cents worth

We use them as an emergency fitting. Also for mobile home repair etc. Expensive, but so is labor.

just used 2 of the 3/4 couplings a couple days ago on a
    first co. hot water coil.. 150 deg. water so far holding good.
    in vegas they are not allowed in an unaccessible area
    so i have to install an access door to stay in code.
    local plumber said he has some in a boiler line running
    at 185 & been in place for close to a year.

For the price of those things, the thieves would steal them and leave your copper pipe...........
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.