Which brand and why?

Hello all, I'm fairly new to this site. Read a lot but just recently registered. Anyway love it, lots of good info here. Just wanted to get some feedback from anyone and everyone on which brand of equipment you prefer to sell and install and why. I myself am of course a Bryant dealer, and on occasion Ruud. I am just a little concerned with the warranty that the big names offer compared to the "cheaper" names. It seems to me that most customers would prefer to pay the same for a cheaper quality name brand with a good warranty as opposed to buying a trusted name with half the factory warranty. I hate to sell out to a, in my opinion, lesser name just to get the sale. But when the other companies around here do that very thing, what can you do? Anyway the warranty issue is not that big of a deal. Just really want to find out what the majority prefers.

Thanks.

Here's a thread I made a while back... maybe this will help: http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=149770

I'm not a pro, but although I think Trane is good stuff, their numbers can lack a bit (just check out aridirectory.org). I've been impressed with the numbers from Carrier/Bryant and Amana matchups.

Coleman
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

American Standard love their new package units

When someone asks me this question I ask them how long they plan to be in their house. If it is a long time (like into retirement, Amana. If they are going to sell the house in a few years then Trane/AS/Carrier.

Basically I am asking them if they want resale value or a lifetime warranty. However, If they want efficiency and have the money I say WATERFURNACE ENVISION. I have one and actually look foward to opening my electric bill. An Envision will save a person more than a stinking hybrid.

As a consumer.....I will tell you that warranty does matter to the purchaser. We were educated about the "top three" name brands and convinced they were indeed better products for the long term. However, the fact is they also have some more complicated parts. Yet, the "cheaper brands" had these great warrantiess. It continues to be a puzzlement as to why the better brands have such expensive extended warranties if.....they are so much better.

In the end......we ended up with one of the "better" brands but.....it is an unsettling feeling that the warranties are so comparatively more expensive when the systems were already a good deal more $$$.

MANY dealers in our area..........and we interviewed a lot of them.......sell the "other" brands as "better warranty" and.........where we live...even in the most expensive areas ....they sell like hot cakes due to warranty.

There is some reverse logic going on in the warranty side of this issue. We will not be in our house for more than five years and were eventually persuaded for a "better brand"....but..........given the warranty issue....I still wonder?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    In general,no offense to any contractor on this site:

The top three,have larger dealers ,that have companies with more overhead.Therefore their labor rates are higher,hence higher cost for extended warranties.
    These companies also maintain warranty records ,so if the customer sells the buyer is likely to get the original warranty.

Look at the auto industies ,longest warranties are often the lesser brands.

Warranties are just a tool to sell the products ,no indication of quality.

I feel qualified to respond here, as a customer. My new TempStar goes in tomorrow. How'd I get there? Simple; quality product, with a great warranty, at a good price from a contractor I trust. I've followed hvac-talk for about three months, reading and asking questions. I've done tons of research on all the 'big name' brands. I'm now sure I know more about A/C and furnace systems that most end-users. What's the biggest thing you hear 'preached' on this site? "Most any system will perform well, as long as it is installed properly." Now, I've also found that once I made a post of my decision, I had several replies like "why not this system, or why not that one..." Most often, the bottom line is a customer wants the most quality they can get for the best price. There are customers that want "all the bells and whistles"; like the Escalade driver, who could have had the same vehicle for thousands less, but had to have the fancy trim and brand name on the side of their vehicle. Most of us (customers) prefer the GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, etc nicely loaded with a quality warranty at a reasonable price. We don't want to pay for the extra trim that really doesn't make much difference to function. Present a quality product to most customers, make them comfortable with their purchase by explaining to them why it will perform as they need and want and why the 'big name brand' with all the bells and whistles really isn't any better in the long run and I bet you sell more than you have ever before. If you want, keep an 'Escalade' around for the rare customer that just has to have the name to show off....:

Thanks for the last response. Its good to see the point of view from the other side of the fence.

Evolutionizer, perhaps you should consider adding Amana to your line. Their upper-end products (not the Distinctions products) is premier and can just about compete with other premier products out there on the market now. The warranty and price should spark some interest amongst your client base. Bryant, Ruud, and Amana would not be a bad product line at all in my opinion. Amana has some good numbers, too: A 4-ton ASZ14 heat pump paired with an AEPF variable-speed air handler gets 13.00 EER and 15.00 SEER. Good luck.

I am thinking very seriously about it but its hard enough to try to sell customers on one brand of equipment and range of "good, better, best" scenarios let alone figure out which of the three they might be interested in and THEN narrow it down to how much they want to invest on efficiency.

Having installed the full specrum of equipment, I see the "cheap" brands extending the warranty, as an artificial inflation of the equipment's quality. Most repairs that occur first in the furnace, seem to be the less expensive parts (ignitors, limit controls etc.). Most equipment seems to do fine in the first 10 years. It's ironic that the brands with the longer warranty seem to be the ones that are problematic after 10 years...
    White Bear Township, Minnesota
    www.summitheating.com

It's not the first 10 years I'm much concerned about... it's the second 10 years that makes the difference.

Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.