Honeywell 8320 wiring for oil heat/heat pump

I don't have much experience with this, the old thermostat, pictured, is for emergency oil heat (iron fireman) and also runs an older heat pump. They want a programmable 'stat, so I bought an 8320. I hooked up as follows:

Rc = RED - 24VAC LINE
    W O/B = BLUE - 24VAC COMMON
    G = GREEN - FAN
    O = ORANGE - REVERSING VALVE FOR HP
    Y = YELLOW - COOLER/COMPRESSOR CONTACTOR

I have 2 wires unattached, black and brown. The black is supposed to be to turn the oil heat on, correct? Where the heck does it go? The brown wire? I am tripping the breaker to the 24vac transformer. Fan comes on but no heat, let alone the heat-pump. I need some help here, I must be a 'tard. Thanks in advance. Jeff

Last edited by jeff123abc; 12-16-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Yellowbook.com
    call pro before you burn up something DIY not here

Last edited by westmorelnd; 12-16-2007 at 08:19 PM. Reason: rules

You aren't wiring it right. First off, the blue wire isn't the 24 volt common wire in your case (it's hooked up to W, the heat relay), and it doesn't go on W / O/B for a heat pump system with oil heat backup. I think you should do yourself a favor and have a professional who knows what he's doing come out and wire it. The pro can look at the actual equipment to see the wiring setup. Just my .02. Good luck.

I could and would like to lend you some advice on wiring this thermostat up, just as some other pros would I'm sure, but the site rules do not allow that unfortunately. Check out the installation manual.

I have called two HVAC pros that didn't know how to hook up HP/oil to programmable stat (TRUE!) or could not come over to do it, too busy fixing broken stuff. Small northern village.... Thanks for your help. Jeff

It shouldn't be a problem to set it up as a heat pump system and put the oil heat as the emergency heat. Of course you'd lose the heat strips as the emergency heat source. There has got to be at least one company who knows how to do this unless I'm way off base in my thinking.

Heat strips don't get used as heat anyway, oil is more efficient here. Trying to preserve the HP for short summer use. Thanks.