Thread: hot room

hot room

hello, i own a condo, i have a guest room and thats where we put the computers, well that little room stores all kinds of heat. so we have a box fan blowing down the short hallway but it does very little. and i dont want a fan blowing down the hallway for the rest of my time here. so i came up with this plan, but before i wasted my time i wanted to pass it by some experts.

the room already has central air going to it,
    there is a little hop from inside the room to the hallway to neutralize the pressure (im sure there is a name for that).
    i want to have a duct, and a fan that pulls the hot air off the ceiling and exhausts it into the top of the living room.
    i picked the living room because..
    the room is central to the house.
    its big.
    its ceilings are so much taller.
    thats where the thermostat is.
    its where the air return is.

any thoughts?

Does this room already have return air? If not add a return in there. Or make the return air bigger. I think it would be cheaper to try this before spending money on a fan to pull air out of there.

Adding a return will do virtually nothing.

The exhaust fan isn't likely to be much better unless it pulls a lot of air and/or unless your excess heat really isn't that much. I've never actually heard of someone attacking the problem this way. It will probably be a bit noisy and it's definitely a little odd.

Naturally, getting cold air into that room is your best bet.

thanks for the thoughts, the reason i want to do something different than add more air to the room is that the room is warm in the winter, when i dont intend to run the AC.

i may have exagerated on how hot it is. its just uncomfortably warm.

i would think it wouldnt take much to remedy it. but spending 250 bucks on a guess and cutting holes in my celing... you know.

would a inline duct fan be that loud? do they make quiter ones for a few extra bucks?

it has 2 vents, one that blows air in, and one that just hops the air out of the room into the hallway, just the two.

Personally, when it's quiet time I like it to be quiet. Late in the evening when you're tapping away and that fan is going, you will hear it. Of course they have more expensive quieter fans. Will you be happy with its noise? Literally no one knows or can know.

As to whether or not it'll be enough, that would take some basic math involving a heat load calculation. You'd have to post numbers. Then the thread would get locked, and rightfully so, for breaking the DIY rules. Some would say we already have broken the rules, but they're fussbudgets in my opinion. Thus far this has been a conceptual thread about the merits of an exhaust fan.

And as to its merit, I'm skeptical. I'll stick to my original suggestion: If it has any chance of working and working well, you'll need to push a quite a bit of air.

i know i just realized what diy means, sorry about posting here guys. my bad.

If your computers are on one wall or centrally located. I would put the fan right behind them and exhaust the heat to the outside, if it can be done. Something we do for rooms like this is called a "slave zone", we put too much air into the room on purpose. Then install a damper with a thermostat attached to it. It is a poor man's zone system. It will not turn the unit on, but when it comes on, it dumps a lot of air into the room. When it gets to the temperature you want, the damper closes, shutting off the air. But it continues to feed the rest of the house. When you are running your heat, it will almost never open because the temp will be satisfied.

Hey, Goatjim, have you tried turning the thermostat fan switch to On when the room is occupied? That way the central unit fan will be removing the hot air from the room even when the rest of the house has no cooling demand.

As above, first try running the system fan.
    If that doesn't work, then a fan as you propose will work if you use one of the proper cfm.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?