Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    they are quite common here in Houston. With 47 pages of a/c contractors in the yellow pages ya gotta wonder how they all could be cracker jacks

I hope that galvinized pipe for the gas was replaced with black pipe when the new unit went in.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Carrier had a standing pilot induced draft.

I think I saw a Trane like that also, but wouldn't bank on it.

But I know for a fact Carrier had a 58GFA match lite furnace with an inducer.

Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    Carrier had a standing pilot induced draft.

I think I saw a Trane like that also, but wouldn't bank on it.

But I know for a fact Carrier had a 58GFA match lite furnace with an inducer.
    Yep, you're right Milk man, both Carrier & Bryant, can't recall seeing any Trane's with that set-up though.

Bryant made a standing pilot 78% furnace in the early 1990's. If you took off the shield above the pilot or ran in gas line in the right side of the furnace, you would have the pilot blown out.

scary! never seen one of those furnaces yet. what a pile!

That sure looks wierd. How does the inducer pressure not suck the pilot up the flue (hence, blow it out).

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    Bryant made a standing pilot 78% furnace in the early 1990's. If you took off the shield above the pilot or ran in gas line in the right side of the furnace, you would have the pilot blown out.
    is that because of air blowing it out if the right side was breached at all ?

r404a

Quote Originally Posted by r404a View Post
    is that because of air blowing it out if the right side was breached at all ?

r404a
    Air from the inducer motor cooling fan would blow the pilot out. They put the furnace on the market and then had to send out these shields to install above the pilot assembly. They finally went to HSI, sold a new ignitor every year or two on PM call.
    R2B4BTU

Quote Originally Posted by Balystic View Post
    That sure looks wierd. How does the inducer pressure not suck the pilot up the flue (hence, blow it out).
    It’s engineer to work on the positive side of the inducer blower. Where it's mounted there is no pressure. The pilot fumes draft directly into the exhaust vent. On A standard pilot furnace, the pilot drafts into the heat exchanger.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    nope, that was rheems standing pilot induced draft furnaces.
    carrier also made an induced-draft standing pilot furnace, very dependable model as well

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_the_furnace_guy View Post
    carrier also made an induced-draft standing pilot furnace, very dependable model as well

you're correct. carrier did make one, it has the bright shiny alum "looks like diamond plate" finish. early 90's?

Heat Controller also made one, it had the little funnel thing over the tcouple.
    Work sucks, lets go skydive

Sammyray...

I think if I came across a 2 year old heat excahnger in that condition I would be checking a few things. Temp rise too low, return air too cold, or VOCs in the air.

I wouldn't be surprised if the second htx lasts abot as long as the first...

Best regards,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast