Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network trouble

Network trouble

Anyone out here that can assist. Here is the problem A/C units are addressable to 31 we have 56 units over 13 buildings and at first each building was on it's own network. Then they were all put togeather by connecting the controllers in each building globally with RJ-45 cable to a server. and we are finding now this new path has joined all the buildings togeather to one network and the controllers now are seeing repeating addresses. When controller in bldg#1 goes out to look for address #2 it will see it 13 times. Any thoughts on this other then spliting the network in to two networks and adding another server

Confused

I not sure if there is anything else that can be done. Devices on the same network simply cannot have the same address. I surprised the network hasn't crashed or some of your controllers appear to be offline.

I curious though, if you do find a solution please let us know.

Thanks

Thumbs up Thank you

Yes that is what is going on, the network has crashed and all unit's I have put into a stand alone mode. The control company that installed this network will have their handsful with this issue. As the rep. for the units I had called tech support for the unit and they were at a lose, besides totally putting out a new processor board for their unit that would expand to 64 address points but that would not be a over night thing . But will let you know thanks again for the input

What brand and model of controls?

Quote Originally Posted by dean1957 View Post
    Anyone out here that can assist. Here is the problem A/C units are addressable to 31 we have 56 units over 13 buildings and at first each building was on it's own network. Then they were all put togeather by connecting the controllers in each building globally with RJ-45 cable to a server. and we are finding now this new path has joined all the buildings togeather to one network and the controllers now are seeing repeating addresses. When controller in bldg#1 goes out to look for address #2 it will see it 13 times. Any thoughts on this other then spliting the network in to two networks and adding another server
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

It sounds like WattMaster with only 31 addressable devices.

just make every building standalone

That was how the buildings were at first they were all stand a lone then they connected globally to the server so the cust. can see it from their office and that is when the whole system crashed when it saw the same addresses from bldg to bldg

The units are Lennox and the controls are Reliable Pro-com

they dont sound reliable

if it is the reliable system, then you can use elinks to make an ip backbone, or there are other ways as well. essentially you need to make a backbone and subnetworks.

Talk to folks at reliable, I think you have a few options. The system architecture definitely needs to change.

good luck.

Ok guys thank you again I will let you know what comes of this I will give the controls company that installed this your suggestions

Without more details, it sound like they have either simply made errors in the IP table in each IP connected mach pro or they need to re-address the controllers at each building - ie:
    Mpro building 1 = address 1 , other controllers at this building should be addressed as sub network controllers 1A1, 1A2, etc depending on model type

MPro building 2 = address 2, other controllers at this building should be addressed as sub network controllers 2A1, 2A2, etc

I've been working intimately with the reliable controls product for 10 yrs. E-Mail me directly if you or your controls guy need help

contech(AT)accesswave.ca
    gsavage(at)digiconcontrols.com

Confused

Yes that is what is going on, the network has crashed and all unit's I have put into a stand alone mode. The control company that installed this network will have their handsful with this issue. As the rep. for the units I had called tech support for the unit and they were at a lose, besides totally putting out a new processor board for their unit that would expand to 64 address points but that would not be a over night thing . But will let you know thanks again for the input
    Well, I'm not sure what type of controllers you are using but this is typically how i"ve seen this kind of stuff done.

There should be a router or master controller per 31 controllers, if this is the limit. This way you avoid any conflicting addresses on the same network. So in you situation you should have 2 routers, on for the first 31 controllers, and the second for the rest. Now the routers must have different addresses also.

Now the routers can be connected to the same server via ethernet.

I'm curious though, what type of communications protocol do the controllers use? i.e. Bacnet or infinet etc.

Net Work Problems

Back to the drawing board is what this means

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast