Heat pump condensor freezing up!!

Hi - I have a Magic Chef Heat Pump - installed 1988 when I purchased my condo. In the heat mode the condensor freezes up at around 32 degrees. This started I think last winter - heating bill for February was very high.
    The tech says can't get to the faulty part without taking the condensor out and working on it. Now waiting for estimate of repair costs. In the mean time I've been getting estimates for a new heat pump. One company measured my condo to establish my heating needs. The others did not measure. Wondering if I should try to make it thru this winter with repair - or is the unit way past its prime.

I would say it is time to replace. You don't have much of a choice when it comes to replacement.

Those units are not the easiest thing in the world to work on. It could be a simple fix though. I would find out what the problem is and make your decision from that info.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Its 19 years old. Its coming to the end of its reliable life span.

A new unit will save you on your heating and cooling bill.
    You should seriously consider replacement, if your personal finances allow it this close to Christmas.
    Many companies have 12 month SAC financing available.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I agree with others that it is time for a replacement unit. Other then that, you should understand that it is not the "condenser" that is freezing, it is the "evaporator".

In heat mode, the indoor and outdoor reverse their roles so that the outdoor coil becomes the evapoator to absorb heat and the indoor coil becomes the condenser to expell the heat that the outdoor coil has absorbed.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by marta7a View Post
    The tech says can't get to the faulty part without taking the condensor out and working on it.
    Is this true?

Sort of.... The refrigerant part of the unit is designed to slide out of the cabinet, and they are not light. Make sure the closet is clear when he comes back, don't do it when he arrives do it before. It is annoying when you go to a house (they known for a week your coming) and it takes them 20 minutes to clean the closet out.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.