Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by smilies View Post
    Ned, is Stater's in house and UA? How about Ralph's?
    Stater's yes , Ralphs is outsourced.

In house gig seems to be the place.

I would love to do that someday.

I think I'll hit the lotto first

Rumor has it Ralph's will be going in house in the future.

Krogers will eventually have all it's divisions "In House".
    Jim
    Tucson, Az
    Keeping the Ice Cream Frozen!

Thanks for all the input, I ended up talking with the manager and the actual area he wanted me to work in was about a half hour drive from my home...so he wanted me to relocate and since my wife and I just purchased a new home, that was out of the question.
    I like where I'm working, so I think I'll stay put for now. We finally have a great group of guys.

But I won't stop looking.

1\2 hour from your home?

thats a down payment on the travel it requires to work for a large Supermarket chain,we cover a huge populated area that goes about 200 square miles.Twice a year I travel cross state to check in with the remote locations if you don't like window time Supermarket in-house probably not going to work for you.

Wow

devildawg,

I don't belive you've understood me correctly. I wasn't willing to sell my house and move my family at this point. My current job is fine and was just looking for a few perspectives on the subject.

I thought I understood your post maybe not, all I was trying to do is give you some "perspective" if your looking at the same type of job I'm doing than travel is just a part of the job.I could move 1\2 hour in any direction from where I live now it would have very little effect on the overall travel requirements.

Some in-house jobs are much smaller in scope than mine and you typically work for 8-12 stores without any outsourcing,if thats the case I can see why you wouldn't want the additional travel.

The way I read it is they whanted him to move 1/2 hr away to work
    like you said thats nothing in drive time why would they want him to move?
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Yes, It just didn't make any sense to me to have to move 1/2 hour away from my house when that drive is realistically nothing at all. Hell, my wife does it every day! I probably do 300-500 miles a week now. And considering that I just moved into this house in April of this year, it was just out of the question.
    If the guy didn't insist on me relocating, then this topic would have gone in a much different direction. Cheers to everyone and have a safe and Happy New Year. My neighbor is calling and there's beer to be drunk

Quote Originally Posted by hvaccompowner View Post
    Coves - make sure you ask questions about how they manage the workforce. My shop has had guys come to us from in-house supermarket chains because they were working sometimes 24 hours straight. And forget about being home on Christmas and July 4th. If you are are an OT hound, supermarkets are the place to be, either for a contractor or in-house. The whole supermarket chain industry is a 2% net profit business, and they behave accordingly when running their businesses. This is why I refuse to bid supermarket work, but I wouldn't discourage someone to go in-house if the situation were right.

(PS - if the chain is Wegman's, be careful. I am told by a former tech there that they have a great retail image with poor management on the operations side. He lasted 6 months there.)

Not sure what in house tech. is working 24 hours straight because I am now in house for a chain and work no more than 45hrs per week. Came from an outside company that I worked 9 years for and an average week was 60hrs. Its actually totally backwards from what you say in my experience. If you like ot go to an outside contractor, if you like having a life go to an in house job. I actually make $2.50 more on the hour here than I did working all the ot with the other company! Try to figure that one out !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12