Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    39

    In-House Market Tech

    Hi everyone...I was recently contacted by a supermarket chain looking for refrigeration technicians and was wondering if anyone out there has ever worked in house for a chain supermarket.
    I am currently employed by a commercial/industrial service company that works on just about everything.....except market refrigeration. I'm basicly looking for any comments or input from people who are currently employed or have been employed by a market chain. Plusses, minuses, etc., etc. What it's like versus working for an independent service company. Just looking for some insight.....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,163
    being in house you are viewed as a nessasry evil that cost them money but nothing like an outside contractor that is pure evil trying to steal from them

    the in-house gig is a wonderful thing where you have the time to learn and grow and the only way to go in my opinion

    good luck
    once you think you've seen it all
    (THINK AGAIN)
    I would rather work for free than be look upon as a thief!!!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,514
    I have to agree with dirty on this in house would be a great place to
    learn.With that said Ive heard that some chain's dont like to spend
    money on maint pm's and their in house tech's only spend thier
    time stomping out fire's.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Orange County CA
    Posts
    1,084
    There is a local chain out here that has all in house refrigeration.

    Alot of them are ex-Hussmann/Tyler/Hill guys.

    Their stores are in great shape and the guys pretty much get to tweak on their own stores.

    The motor rooms are pretty clean , and the guys that I know , love it.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by NedFlanders View Post
    There is a local chain out here that has all in house refrigeration.

    Alot of them are ex-Hussmann/Tyler/Hill guys.

    Their stores are in great shape and the guys pretty much get to tweak on their own stores.

    The motor rooms are pretty clean , and the guys that I know , love it.
    Ned, is Stater's in house and UA? How about Ralph's?

  6. #6
    Coves - make sure you ask questions about how they manage the workforce. My shop has had guys come to us from in-house supermarket chains because they were working sometimes 24 hours straight. And forget about being home on Christmas and July 4th. If you are are an OT hound, supermarkets are the place to be, either for a contractor or in-house. The whole supermarket chain industry is a 2% net profit business, and they behave accordingly when running their businesses. This is why I refuse to bid supermarket work, but I wouldn't discourage someone to go in-house if the situation were right.

    (PS - if the chain is Wegman's, be careful. I am told by a former tech there that they have a great retail image with poor management on the operations side. He lasted 6 months there.)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,514
    You have to be NUT"S to do supermarket's
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milford, PA
    Posts
    48
    I once talked to a gut that worked some supermarkets (Wisz,Wegman`s and something that started with a S). He said if you are looking for a easy gig and don`t care much about benefits then its good, otherwise stay clear.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,514
    Quote Originally Posted by iwant2learn View Post
    I once talked to a gut that worked some supermarkets (Wisz,Wegman`s and something that started with a S). He said if you are looking for a easy gig and don`t care much about benefits then its good, otherwise stay clear.
    He said if you are looking for a easy gig supermarket's are you kidding
    far from a easy gig.they'll whoop the best and kill the rest.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tucson, Az
    Posts
    337
    I've been in markets for 20 years now. Went in house 3 years ago.

    Virtually no on call, paid the same as top contractors market techs. Outside contractors take the after hours stuff.

    No weekend or holiday work. Benefits as good or better than outside contractors.

    Market work is tough where ever you are but this is better than working on the "outside".
    Jim
    Tucson, Az
    Keeping the Ice Cream Frozen!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Seatte Wa
    Posts
    48
    Sounds like I have the same gig you do and I would not trade it for another job anywhere.I have been in the Markets for 20 years myself and I love the work but they can get to you when your the on call guy working for a contractor.

    I take care of 60 stores with another guy + manage another 20 across the state with invoicing and PM contracts.We have been at it over 4 years and were now assiting with remodel survey,engineering and scope of work.

    Don't ever have to work OT or the weekends unless we want the hours but we put in a nice even 50 a week as it is no need to work anymore than that unless things get crazy.Were taking about 70% of all calls and manage the rest with outside help.We have knocked off about 30% from the refer budget.The company is happy and so am I.

    I would highly recommend In-house as long as the give you the "expert" the freedom to spend there money and call the shots knowing that it will pay off,can be tough with these guys in the beginning but once they trust you and your knowledge it can be a great working relationship.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by devildawg View Post
    Sounds like I have the same gig you do and I would not trade it for another job anywhere.I have been in the Markets for 20 years myself and I love the work but they can get to you when your the on call guy working for a contractor.

    I take care of 60 stores with another guy + manage another 20 across the state with invoicing and PM contracts.We have been at it over 4 years and were now assiting with remodel survey,engineering and scope of work.

    Don't ever have to work OT or the weekends unless we want the hours but we put in a nice even 50 a week as it is no need to work anymore than that unless things get crazy.Were taking about 70% of all calls and manage the rest with outside help.We have knocked off about 30% from the refer budget.The company is happy and so am I.

    I would highly recommend In-house as long as the give you the "expert" the freedom to spend there money and call the shots knowing that it will pay off,can be tough with these guys in the beginning but once they trust you and your knowledge it can be a great working relationship.
    Two tech's for 60 stores? You guys must be facking awesome! Seattle must not be hard on equipment.

    Have you acquired a guy for Oregon by now?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Seatte Wa
    Posts
    48
    Were both pretty good market techs and we don't do much of the PM work I should have said that first.no way you can PM that many stores and take calls we kinda set this up through trial and error.What we found saved the most money was for someone else to do the PMs while we make sure it actually gets done and done right.As far as calls go we knock out all the easy stuff and you know how that goes for every tough call in a market there will be 3 that anyone can take.The long drawn out stuff that takes a few days we usally do the trouble shooting and then have the contractor do the dirty work :-)

    We handle all the EMS work and set up and fine tuning as well as work with our energy management dept to keep there specs and are's as close as possible.spend a ton of time on the phone with contractor techs making sure they know whats going on and how we want calls taken care of.

    Sounds like a ton of stores but we get it done.Bottom line is to just be organized and get to know these stores inside and out,carry a big stick when it comes to the contractors but at the same time make sure there getting paid and paid well for doing what they do we could not survive without them.

    Portland did hire a guy about 18 months ago and I think he's doing ok

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event