Question Room over garage is very cold

My office, with hot air heat, is over my unheated garage & even with the heat on 70, it is very cold 5 minutes after the heat shuts off & too hot while the heat is running. I'm thinking having electric radiators or radiant heat in the floor installed, (I assume the radiant heat would involve removing the drywall ceiling in the garage)
    Any thoughts/suggestions?
    Thanks
    Dennis

What are you going to do in the summer for A/C, I'm guessing you have the same problem in reverse in the summer.

I would recomend a mini split heat pump.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Question

Beenthere
    Thanks for the reply, The AC works OK, I think I'm more sensitive to the cold in the winter than the heat in the summer. What's a mini split heat pump? Would it work in New Jersey?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Heres a link to Sanyo. http://www.sanyohvac.com/singlesplit.php

And yes, they will work in NJ.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Just watch the low temp shut off on the mini heat pumps.

If just heating an issue, slap a baseboard strip in there and use as needed. Probably the cheapest way. Or there are wall mounted panels that radiate heat that might be comfy, attractive and affordable.

The problem you describe is almost always caused by poorly installed and/or inadequate insulation in the garage ceiling. You may also have other insulation or air leakage deficiencies.

I'll give another vote for little or no insulation in the garage ceiling, if you are usually at your desk when in the office, you could use an electric floor radiant pad, it would make your chair area very toasty at a reasonable operating cost.
    Class of 70

One other longshot

I agree that the most likely cause is insufficient insulation. But there is a small chance that this could be a combination of low cycle rate and moderate insulation compared to a main house that is well insulated.

How many times an hour does the heat cycle on and off? If it is very few (1-3), you may be able to get a substantial improvement if you change the thermostat to cycle 5 or 6 times per hour. That is not an unusual setting for a hot air furnace (do you know the efficiency?). That would narrow the temperature swing in your office at a theoretical cost of more wear and tear on the furnace (but really have little or no practical effect on the equipment).

A ductless split is a great option. You might also want to consider zoning your furnace, and making the room above the garage a seperate zone. That might be a little more afordable than a ductless.

How many rooms are over your garage?

My bedrooms (3) and bathroom were on the cool side, and I did a remodel last spring and has helped so far!

Every case is different, but I fixed this problem...

...by leaving my furnace blower run 24x7 after having had to replace with a high efficiency furnace. I cannot believe the difference in the rooms above the garage. Huge! I had checked into insulation options and was told based on when the house was built, I had all the insulation I was going to get without re-working the ceiling in a big way. My personal guess was that the duct work going through the garage ceiling is where I was losing my heat to the rooms upstairs. By running 24x7, I think I am at least hanging on to some heat around the ducts allowing the rooms to actually get warm when the furnace does kick in. Good luck!