Thread: side jobs

Post Likes

side jobs

hey how do u guys feel about side jobs. like do you think us as tech should be able to make a little more money or should we turn the work over to the company?

Post Likes
    Twilli had a side job and Twilli's wife left over her...
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Family and close friends yes, anything else if your boss says no, then no. If he don't care then go for it, your just cutting your companies bottom line, and if it has anything to do with the heating equipment, do you have the insurance to CYA if anything bad happens, gas leak, water leaks, step through a ceiling, whatever? It might be a side job but you are still liable, and if uninsured, in deep doo-doo.
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by titans999 View Post
    hey how do u guys feel about side jobs. like do you think us as tech should be able to make a little more money or should we turn the work over to the company?
    Everyone does them, and nobody speaks about them.

You're breaking the sidejobbers creed.

Now your boss will know and you will be fired.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    oops! Now ya got time for 2 side jobs
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    If you do residental work for your company don't do residential side jobs expect for close friends and family.

If you do commerical and industrial work then do as much side work as you want residential wise. Same rule applies as above.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
    another day of just living dream

Post Likes

twilli how many times did i tell you
    NEVER TELL YOUR WIFE ABOUT SIDE JODS

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Nah I don't think any woman would leave Twilli if they have seen the "new" Twilli, but they might bring Twilli there girlfriends over for Christmas.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    I learned from a fellow employees experience about even helping a "friend" a few years back....the guy had an old coleman presidential and it got hailed out....insurance company gave him replacement cost. My fellow employee gets a Trane at cost thru our shop and puts it in for him. A month later the homeowner is *****ing to his buddy that it's not working as good as his old one. Never calls our shop, he calls Trane company and drops our company name since he wasn't getting satisfaction.. we got raked over the coals for that one. The only reason the employee didn't get fired is because he was the nephew of the boss...The moral of the story is to just be careful what you put your name on out there.

Post Likes

Exclamation

If your side work is in the same trade then yes, it is a problem. Also, you should not be doing side work or any work unless properly licensed and insured.

Hearthman

Post Likes
    Twilli has gotten in shape following Mr Bills workout plan
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    yep.

Post Likes
    In my state, Texas, it is illegal unless you are a licensed contractor. In my state you can get shot for doing illegal things. Why don't you bone up and get a state license.

Post Likes
    Gee whiz, seems like they shoot you for everything down there!!

Post Likes
    Even though it doesn't seem like most of them have the ambition to work anymore than they have to, I'm pretty sure most of the guys at the place I work do side jobs. I'm an installer and I've had guys ask for parts out of furnaces I've taken out. I know one guy that took a reasonably new furnace out of one house and put it in another. I've only been doing this a couple years, so I don't know if that is common practice, but it seems ridiculous to me. I know they don't have insurance and they're installing used parts. Most of them have plenty of debt anyway, so I guess they don't worry about their liability.

Post Likes
    The first question is, are you doing side jobs to get more income or because you like to work? If it's the latter, then I assume you're pricing your 'side jobs' the same way the boss does. If it's the former, then why are you cutting the bosses price? As a general observation, most side jobs are done because they've got a customer who doesn't want to pay full boat. So you come along after hours and do (hopefully) the same quality installation but for much less money. Sure, you get a grand in your pocket and the boss would only have paid a third that but you just took a job off the table. Believe me when I tell you that most bosses would love to be able to pay their technicians and installers double or more of what they're currently getting. The problem is they can't charge the customers enough to pay those kind of wages. Remember, you boss has to match your FICA/Medicare deductions and pay worker's comp and liability insurance too. So a big part of what he bids is cover you posterior. And if the customer complains, the boss takes the heat. Warranty work is working for free. Do a couple of side jobs that invovle warranty and you'll see what I mean, for free. If you don't build enough into the price of the job to cover the warranty, you're working for free. If you want to freelance for your regular 40, why not do it in a an entirely different profession? Educate yourself to some other field. You'll make some money, you won't be competing with legitimate businesses and the change of pace from the day job will be a welcome change. Shucks, you just might get a whole new career out of it.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cep a/c View Post
    In my state, Texas, it is illegal unless you are a licensed contractor. In my state you can get shot for doing illegal things. Why don't you bone up and get a state license.
    It's not illegal to do "side jobs" as he asked if it does not require a license to perform the side job. he really did not specify the nature of the side jobs could be mowing grass. I don't mind my guys running a few calls or doing a few jobs when things are slow as long as they use my invoice and have the customer make the check out to me and I get a small percentage, because to me it's just extra money I would not of had if they were just to try and do it on their own without me knowing, so I make it easy for them and that way everyone is happy. You know there going to do it regardless so why not help them a little and not forget so fast if it were not for them all year in the 100 degree heat your butt might be looking for some side jobs yourself.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in