Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem with liquid line leaking/dripping

I have a Trane XL16 Heat Pump dual fuel setup with a Trane XV80 gas furnace that was installed this past May.

I just noticed a small drip from the small copper tube (liquid line?) that enters near the indoor coil above the gas furnace. I had noticed a small collection of liquid on top of the furnace a two weeks ago, but wasn't sure where it came from so I just cleaned it up and was going to keep an eye on it.

Now I can see another small collection of liquid again on top of the furnace and can feel that it's coming from this small copper (liquid) line. I can see where the copper line looks to be soldered as it turns to enter "comfort coil" and this is where the small leak is.

Is this a big problem? Should I get my contractor out quickly?

Thanks for any advice.

is the liquid oil? or water?
    mike

It seems like an oily liquid.

call a pro for repairs
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

It sounds like you have a refrigerant leak that needs to be brought to the attention of the contractor. I just had a leak found in my system within this past hour.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    It sounds like you have a refrigerant leak that needs to be brought to the attention of the contractor. I just had a leak found in my system within this past hour.
    about time!!
    You can't fix stupid

Yep, there was dye all over the place outside around the muffler. High side pressure = high leaking rate. That was definitely the case. I wonder if the copper was poorly welded from the factory, the muffler was bad, or something else. It may have started out small.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by eswells95 View Post
    It seems like an oily liquid.
    Have them come out and fix it. If you see it dripping off of the liquid line braze joint and it is oily you have a refrigerant leak. Run the unit in aux. heat untill it is repaired. It should be a no dollar cost to you the dealer has a 2 year dealer labor obligation to you. They can correct the wiring at the same time.

Thanks everyone.

Will they need to check the level of the refrigerant and "pull a vaccuum" again when they come out to fix the leak? Is doing that a problem in colder temps? Is there anything I should watch out for to make sure it's being done properly?

Also, since this is likely leftover from my original install, should the person who did the install come out or is any technician from the company ok?

Thanks again for your help.

My installer called me back today. He seems to think what I'm seeing is some soapy lubricant they use during install to make it easy for things to slide over the tubing and to check for leaks at this joint. He indicated that if it was refrigerant, it would evaporate. I think he'll come to check later next week and because I have some other issues from the original install.

Does his explanation sound reasonable?

Thanks.

the refrigerant will indeed evaporate, but the oil that is entraned in the refrigerant will stay around and indict the area of any high side leak. there is no such thing as a small leak and heat pump installations are to be held to a higher standard than AC. IF there is a leak..the repair will not only involve a vacume pump but also a nitrogen feed when soldering the leak, plus a weighed charge..anything short of right is dead wrong!
    Class of 70

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Have them come out and fix it. If you see it dripping off of the liquid line braze joint and it is oily you have a refrigerant leak. Run the unit in aux. heat untill it is repaired. It should be a no dollar cost to you the dealer has a 2 year dealer labor obligation to you. They can correct the wiring at the same time.
    Why does the dealer have a 2 year labor obligation? What is wrong with the wiring? Did I miss some of this post?

Thanks for all the advice. I wiped off the liquid line, to remove any soapy lubricant that may still reside on the line after the initial install. A few hours later, I felt under the joint of the liquid line near the entry above the furnace and there was a small amount of the "oily liquid" back again. So I think that eliminates the soapy lubricant as an explanation.

dngtig: It seems like I have some wiring problems with my initial dual fuel install. Thanks to the advice of Second Opinion and others on this board, I think I'm missing the W1-W2 jumper on my 2-stage furnace that's needed since my 803 Tstat can't control my 2-stage aux/gas heat.

In addition, I think I have some other problems with my system/setup that are becoming obvious now. I'm going to start a new thread to ask about these questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast