Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    And packing someone away for murder is silly. All a lazy bum has to do for 3 hots and a cot is murder someone. Life imprisonment is not a deterrent to murder...it is an incentive.
    My implementation of solitary confinement would fall into the category of "a fate worse than death", so the bleeding hearts wouldn't go for it anyway.

For the death penalty to work, it needs to have more clear cut criteria for determining if a case is a death penalty case or not. There is to much discretion allowed for prosecutors to ask for it or not. It should be automatic if the crime fits within the criteria.
    It should also require that there is no doubt about the direct physical evidence and eye witness testimony. If the case is mostly circumstantial, it should not be a death penalty case. This should not be a problem with the technology available today.
    To go along with that, the billion avenues of appeal need to be cut out, the punishment should be swift, no more than 3-5 years at most. Any appeal must have a basis in real evidence.
    Execution should be public.
    Lethal injection should be outlawed for being to soft. Bring back sparky, hanging, gas chambers, firing squads, etc., the person should be conscious the instant before their life ends.

While we are on the subject, does anyone have any clue whatsoever as to why, in the state of Texas at least, they swab the injection site before inserting the needle for an execution?
    I mean seriously, WTF?
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

That is something I could live with Mark. Circumstantial versus hard facts should be considered as to whether it is a capital trial, subject to change at any time when evidence comes in or is accurately refuted.

The swab issue. I guess some politician owns stock in Johnson&Johnson.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

That is something I could live with Mark. Circumstantial versus hard facts should be considered as to whether it is a capital trial, subject to change at any time when evidence comes in or is accurately refuted.

The swab issue. I guess some politician owns stock in Johnson&Johnson.
    How would you feel if a capitol conviction immediately went to a fed tribunal for review and appeal - strict guidelines would have to be met for a final capital judgement, otherwise case goes to life without parol.

The Feds would handle all capital convictions. Capital sentences should be carried out humanely. The end purpose is all that matters. As a society we don't want to crawl down in the gutter with the perpetrators.

All the talk about harsh and inhumane treatment just gives strength to the anti's.

Quote Originally Posted by forged alloy View Post
    How would you feel if a capitol conviction immediately went to a fed tribunal for review and appeal
    That would be a mistake, in my view.

The whole idea of federalism is that not all people are going to agree on any given issue. However, you are perfectly able to move to a state that reflects your ideals and values if the one you are in right now does not. The more mandates created by the feds, the more "vanilla" and the less individual each state becomes.

The only things that the feds should be doing is running foriegn policy and the miltary, and maintaining interstate infrastructure. That's about it.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Should be certain parameters, Scrog. We need to first be sure of hirees and supervisors for police departments. We need to be sure of prosecutors and judges. Too many agenda-laden people are allowed to run and hold office. Instead of holding someone in death row for 20 years awaiting appeals, those who investigate, prosecute, and hear such cases should be proven capable of doing the job.

A murder case should never go to trial without everything needed to convict without doubt. Then, once the jury says guilty and the judge says death, the guilty guy should be buried inside of 72 hours. THAT is the swift justice the Constitution is talking about.
    Yes, of course. But the release of so many (I think the count is around 80 or so now, I'll search for a link if I can find the time ) on death row demonstrates that we do not have such a system in place right now. Frankly, I doubt America's ability to create such an atmosphere.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    That would be a mistake, in my view.

The whole idea of federalism is that not all people are going to agree on any given issue. However, you are perfectly able to move to a state that reflects your ideals and values if the one you are in right now does not. The more mandates created by the feds, the more "vanilla" and the less individual each state becomes.

The only things that the feds should be doing is running foriegn policy and the miltary, and maintaining interstate infrastructure. That's about it.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    That is exactly the original intent of the Constitution.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

Proud member of KA Club

From the article:
    Another of the eight is Jesse Timmendequas, the sex offender who murdered 7-year-old Megan Kanka in 1994. The case inspired Megan's Law, which requires law enforcement agencies to notify the public about convicted sex offenders living in their communities.

Megan's father, Richard Kanka, is still hopeful the men won't see old age. "The only thing we can really hope for is somebody in jail will knock off these guys," he said.

I'm no liberal, ya'll know that but that statement right there is disturbing. I'm sure many have thought that way about someone but to have it there in print is another thing.
    I'm pretty sure most of you heard about the kidnapping case involving Michael Devlin and the two teenage boys here in Missouri. I've heard lots of people say he should get the death penalty but he won't. Most likely he will be held in solitary for the rest of his life--to protect him from other inmates, not to punish him. That's what happens with criminals of his ilk.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Classical: maybe Texas has changed since I did my research. This was quite a few years ago.

To make the death penalty work:

1. All appeals will be handled in 1 week from the end of the first trial.
    2. After the one appeal to the next higher court and the conviction is upheld the criminal is lead to the noose (all courtrooms will be on the second floor in a place of prominence) and so the criminal can be hung on display for a period of 24 hrs.)
    3. If there is an appeal and the decision is not upheld in the appeal the State supreme court must hear the case with in 30 days and rule and execute punishment in no more than 72 hrs after the end of the hearing if there is a conviction use the above punitive method.

To make prison work:
    Make Sheriff Joe Arpiao federal prison commissioner with power to change things.

http://www.mcso.org/index.php?a=GetM...mn=Sheriff_Bio
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

BEAR!!! Great ideas! Especially putting Arpaio in charge of prisons.

Proud member of KA Club

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12