Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Death Penalty

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/death_penalty_new_jersey

Maybe is about time for Texas to break away from the union cause you bleeding heart liberals are evolving in the wrong direction

All those years of appeals and the uncertainty of the punishment is why the death penalty doesn't work as well as it should. It is being too restricted to serve it's purpose.

If I bought a top of the line HVAC system and put a piece of cardboard in place of the filter, the system has the potential to work great but an outside influence (the cardboard) is preventing it from reaching it's potential.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

The death penalty would be a much better deterent if it were carried out in public, maybe even by the public. Stoning? Public hanging? The Rack? What would be the effect on crime in this country if the hoodlums witnessed limbs being pulled from bodies? I say go medievil on they azz.

I am as big a proponent of the death penalty as there is in fact I would gladly juice these thugs myself.

However I would gladly accept Texas doing away with the death penalty for the following reason.

Since a criminal automatically receives an appeal in a death penalty conviction it will eventually cost us tens of millions of dollars. Once an appeal process is started it very probably will work its way to the Federal Supreme Court. If a criminal receives Life without the possibility of parole they must prove grounds for appeal it is not automatic.

If we take the money used to provide endless appeals for these murderers and put it into the penal system we would be better served.

Call me weird (shaddup), but haven't there been a few men on death row released upon the presentation of modern DNA evidence?

One man unjustly lost in this manner is one too many for my taste. I like to think I am as tough on crime as anyone, yet these sort of stories make me pause and think.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

You know, I'm glad to see there are alot that still believe in the Death Penalty. If only .....

Never mind. i forgot, there are still too many liberal minded folks out there.

I'm glad God is still for Capital punishment! He never changes.

I agree that the death penalty does not work. The costs of the appeals are huge, and burdonsome on the system.

At any rate, life behind bars might actually be a worse punishment in reality.

For those that are not even deterred by this, and are anti-social within the correctional system, those we need to ship off to the North Slope in Alaska, and just drop them off, naked, in February.

But alas, the American system of penal punishment is not geared towards actually reforming prisoners, but rather to just warehouse them, where they are free to run amok among them selves (so to say) and create bigger and better criminals.

I did an extensive bunch of research on the death penalty a number of years ago and came to the conclusion that it was not a productive action in most cases. In some states it has been a tool for racism (eg. Texas, where a disproportionate number of blacks received the death penalty compared to whites with similar crimes). It has not been proven to be a deterrent. Then there were the "mistakes" where innocent people received the death penalty due to investigative errors by the police and others involved. One of the biggest proponents of the death penalty was a police officer in Chicago who subsequently killed his wife and was one of the first ones to receive it (go figure!).

Note--this does not mean I am a whussy liberal. I think people in jail should be put to productive work. You don't work--you don't eat--it is as simple as that. And if you are able bodied and continue to refuse to work then too bad, you starve, .........to death if necessary. Even physically and mentally infirm people could be given modified work loads.

In some states it has been a tool for racism (eg. Texas, where a disproportionate number of blacks received the death penalty compared to whites with similar crimes).

This is a load of crap more whites are put to death in Texas than blacks!

While I'm proud that I am a native of the state that executes more criminals than any other state in the union, I do recognize that it is to costly, and doesn't have the desired effect.

My solution, instead of wrangling over the death penalty, anyone convicted of 1st degree murder gets solitary confinement for life. If at some point they try to commit suicide, let them.

Similar fate for gang members. Solitary confinement for the duration of their sentence, none of this BS of networking with other gang members, and even running street gangs from behind bars, like is going on now.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    While I'm proud that I am a native of the state that executes more criminals than any other state in the union, I do recognize that it is to costly, and doesn't have the desired effect.
    It has EXACTLY the desired effect...to keep the convicted murderer from committing another murder. His death is a guarantee of that.

And packing someone away for murder is silly. All a lazy bum has to do for 3 hots and a cot is murder someone. Life imprisonment is not a deterrent to murder...it is an incentive.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    And packing someone away for murder is silly. All a lazy bum has to do for 3 hots and a cot is murder someone. Life imprisonment is not a deterrent to murder...it is an incentive.
    So.. if we make a mistake... that is "acceptable casualties"?
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    So.. if we make a mistake... that is "acceptable casualties"?
    Should be certain parameters, Scrog. We need to first be sure of hirees and supervisors for police departments. We need to be sure of prosecutors and judges. Too many agenda-laden people are allowed to run and hold office. Instead of holding someone in death row for 20 years awaiting appeals, those who investigate, prosecute, and hear such cases should be proven capable of doing the job.

A murder case should never go to trial without everything needed to convict without doubt. Then, once the jury says guilty and the judge says death, the guilty guy should be buried inside of 72 hours. THAT is the swift justice the Constitution is talking about.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast