Help! Converting tank into boiler...

I have a quiz in a few hours and I'm totally lost on this one. My teacher wants us to draw out a skematic and a pictorial. He wants us to convert a hot water tank into an AUX boiler. He did give us a few hints, but still I'm lost on this one. He said the gas valve will not be controlled electrically, and to keep the original psi relief valve intact (but you can add to it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Just pipe it to your heat emiter. Add a circ and flo check.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    tell him water heaters can't be used as boilers. Built to different codes.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Question Realistically speaking ...

Quote Originally Posted by pepe0415 View Post
    He wants us to convert a hot water tank into an AUX boiler.

He did give us a few hints, but still I'm lost on this one.

He said the gas valve will not be controlled electrically, and to keep the original psi relief valve intact (but you can add to it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated ...
    I believe that a Hot water tank could only be a pseudo-AUX Boiler for hydronic heat at < ~ 160 'F.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

There are two ways -

One is:

Leave the domestic water piping intact. Remove the relief valve. Remove the drain valve. Add a 3/4" brass nipple and brass tee with the side clear, and one end open, in place of the removed valves. Replace both valves - each screwed into the open end of the installed tees.

From the side of the tee under the relief valve, pipe out to a circulator pump's suction side. From the discharge side of that pump, pipe to your heating coil or other radiation. From the far side of the rediation, pipe a return line to the side of the tee under the drain valve.

If the HWH will be used Only for space heating then put a pump sucking from the HOT connection - out to the radiation - and then return to the COLD connection.

The 'cheap & dirty' method is to add two tees to the domestic water piping - pump out of the Hot line, through the radiation, and then back to the Cold line tee.

You will also need one of two control methods.

1. A line voltage electric heating thermostat - this will power the pump directly on a call for heat.

2. A transformer/relay package, wired to 120 VAC, and a 24 volt thermostat. The 24 volt stat will pull in the relay. The replay contacts will supply 120 volts to the pump.

I used to do them all the time for little apartment conversions. The whole apartment would be 300-400 square feet. So they need maybe 12,000 - 15,000 BTU's max. Where can I get a boiler That small?

Hell; for a long time I thought I had INVENTED heating with the hot water heater. <g>
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

I would respectfully submit that pumps do not "suck".

MA

BadgerBoiler MN -

How do pumps reduce their inlet side pressure when in operation?
    PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    How do pumps reduce their inlet side pressure when in operation?
    the impeller pulls the water in
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

what is the act of pulling something in w/ an impeller called?

Picture a different kind of pump. This one pumps refrigerant. One of the lines to the compressor gets cold. What is that line called? <g>
    PHM
    --------

Comparison between a refrigerant compressor, and a water circulator are not appliable.

Centrifical circs don't suck. Nor do centrifical blowers.

They do create a pressure difference between their inlet and outlets.
    Contractor locator map

Comparison between a refrigerant compressor, and a water circulator are not appliable.

Centrifical circs don't suck. Nor do centrifical blowers.

They do create a pressure difference between their inlet and outlets.
    Contractor locator map

Pumps "throw" water away from the center using centrigal force thus creating delta 'P'; high pressure going to low, naturally. The vaining in a pump actually go in the opposite direction one might guess.

MA