+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Retired

Post Likes

Retired

Does anyone have any use or know someone that might have for freon 500. This refrigerant was used by Carrier 40+ years ago. Have 30 + pounds just for the shipping. This IS NOT 502

Post Likes
    I remember using Carene #7 (R-500) on Carrier pkg. units and also on built up systems using Carrier semi and open drive compressors. That was awhile back. There was a tech I worked with that use to top off R-500 systems with R-12. I did not like that practice but that was his choice. Cannot see any use of R-500 today but who knows there could be oldies out there.

Post Likes

R500

Quote Originally Posted by ken heroux View Post
    I remember using Carene #7 (R-500) on Carrier pkg. units and also on built up systems using Carrier semi and open drive compressors. That was awhile back. There was a tech I worked with that use to top off R-500 systems with R-12. I did not like that practice but that was his choice. Cannot see any use of R-500 today but who knows there could be oldies out there.
    My local branch of united refrigeration showed it in their computer, but none sold in the st louis ,mo area. I purchased this drum at least 38 years ago to fix a old at that time a carrier residential unit, found this in my garage buried. Very surprised it still had gas in it. If you remember Carene 7 you must be at lease in your 60's like me.

Post Likes

R-500

Quote Originally Posted by servicefitter View Post
    My local branch of united refrigeration showed it in their computer, but none sold in the st louis ,mo area. I purchased this drum at least 38 years ago to fix a old at that time a carrier residential unit, found this in my garage buried. Very surprised it still had gas in it. If you remember Carene 7 you must be at lease in your 60's like me.
    I'm 66 years old. Retired after 43 years in the trade.

Post Likes
    I am 45. Just sold my 13 year old HVACR company. I am not so sure I will ever retire.
    Of course I am not 66 years old yet
    Do you still go out and do a job now and then?
    Has anyone else here ever sold an HVACR company and found themselves in a quandary of what do I do now?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricks Refrig View Post
    I am 45. Just sold my 13 year old HVACR company. I am not so sure I will ever retire.
    Of course I am not 66 years old yet
    Do you still go out and do a job now and then?
    Has anyone else here ever sold an HVACR company and found themselves in a quandary of what do I do now?
    Yes.

You start another company!

Speaking of R500... there were certain models of GE fridges that used compressors which looked like a horizontal rotary.
    They called for R500 & seemed to lose about 10-15% efficiency on R12.

Post Likes
    When i was cutting my teeth(mid 80's). If we came across a R500 Carrier they had us size down the TXV
    2-3 tons smaller and then charge with R22.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in