Furnace sometimes doesn't come on

Two times in the past 3 weeks, my furnace didn't come on when the tstat was calling for heat. Setting back the stat then forward doesn't work. To get it going, I set back the tstat, then shut off the furnace at the emergency switch then turn everything on again.

What could be wrong with it? The installer is coming out to look at it this Saturday but I'd like to hear first what you guys think.

The furnace is a Carrier Infinity installed last September.

Thanks in advance for any help!

It sounds as if your furnace is locking out on a safety.

Many things can cause this. The infinity series has many, many, fault codes, each related to a spedific part of the furnaces operation. There are two colored lights inside the lower compartment viewing port on the front of the furnace. You'd help the tech a lot if you could record the blinking sequence of those lights before you go through the reset process. Resetting the unit erases those fault codes but knowing them will help the tech more accurately diagnose the problem. If the unit is running normally when he gets there, he can only make a guess at best. You should count the number of "blinks" from each light. Write it down so your don't forget it and if you can, do it more than once as there could be more than one code involved. Good luck but we can't provide much more information than that with the limited info you can provide.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

That's too bad. I didn't think to research first before resetting it. I hope I'm not wasting the tech's time.

Willis B
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

If you sprang for the infinity control then those lights are not even looked at all faults are stored in the controller.If you have a standard thermostat then write them down.
    Take your time & do it right!

I got the status code. It's 13.

For that code, it says the problem could be dirty filter or restricted vent. The filter is two weeks old but could it be the filter? I'm using the filtrete 1250 and I've read that these could be too restrictive.

I bought Filtrete's for my mom's and my furnace. Both furnaces started having shutdown problems. Tech came out to "repair" hers said it was the Filtrete 1250's high restriction of airflow. Put in less restrictive and hers is back to working fine. I went and replaced my Filtrete 1700 & it resolved the problem as well. I wish they'd put warnings on their pkging.

Quote Originally Posted by joepuwi View Post
    I got the status code. It's 13.

For that code, it says the problem could be dirty filter or restricted vent. The filter is two weeks old but could it be the filter? I'm using the filtrete 1250 and I've read that these could be too restrictive.
    Did you check the vent pipe? Bird nests and snow are known to be restrictive to airflow.

It was the filtrete. The tech came. He took the temp in the heat exchanger with the filtrete and it went up to 138. When he tried with another filter it was only at 115.

now send your bill to 3M
    You can't fix stupid