Does this heating cycle seem normal.

Does this heating cycle seem normal.

I know this is a subjective question but here goes. Yesterday I had a new Bryant 80% 70,000 BTU two stage furnace installed #312AAV036070. I'm also getting a Bryant 13 seer 3 ton A/C system(113ANA36000) installed next week because he didn't get to finish the installation yesterday. He also installed a white/rogers 80 series programable thermostat. I think the 1F80-361 but I don't have the box in front of me and I'm at my girlfriends.

The thermostat was set at 65 degrees. The heat would run for approx 12 minutes and then would be off for approx 12 minutes and then would repeat this cycle. At around the 10 minute mark of running, the second stage would kick in. Is this too often to run or does this sound normal? Does the thermostat control how often the furnace kicks on?

My previous furnace was supposedly a Carrier 75,000 BTU with a 2 ton AC coil and a 2 1/2 ton outside AC unit. The installation guy said my blower in my old furnace was a 3 ton.

My house is a one level 1300 sq ft house in southwest MO.

Thanks for any info or any questions I need to ask the installer. Thanks.

Wayne

PS. My girlfriend's Coleman unit(don't know size) in her 2300 sq ft double wide runs for about 8 minutes and is off for about 28 minutes before repeating this cycle. Themostat is a manuel on set on about 70 degrees.

The furnace (new or old) just replaces the heat that the building loses. The new thermostat has a 1/2 degree resolution and the two stage furnace is designed to use first stage and will only bring in the second stage if the temp drops and additional 1/2 degree or too much time has elapsed, sounds like the furnace is fine, remember on the coldest day of the year the furnace should run 50 mins out of 60, long run cycles are most effecient
    Class of 70

Sounds like they are not using a two stage t-stat.. it's using the furnace's board to cycle 2nd stage.

I would request a two stage t-stat.

Good point, verify the part number on the stat, and make sure that you get a 2 stage stat if you do not have one already. You need to use a 2 stage stat on a 2 stage furnace.

Guys, thanks for the reply. My thermostat is a single stage. It is the one that I thought I had that I mentioned in my initial post. I had asked the installer about why he was installing a single stage thermostat for a two stage furnace and he said that the furnace would run the second stage.

I'm sure that a two stage thermostat was not part of the initial price quote. I will have to talk to him about this when he comes back monday to finish hooking up the AC part of the install.

Wayne

Guys,
    I forgot to ask, how many wires does a two stage thermostat require? I think I just have four at the thermostat.

Wayne

Sounds like you have A/C, so you are going to need 5 wires (6 if don't use battery) for two stage w/ A/C.

If they can't fish a new wire, you can upgrade to the Honeywell IAQ t-stat.

Thanks for the response. Fishing a new wire looks like it would be difficult. My thermostat is quite a ways from where my furnace is and I believe it goes up through the attic which is covered with blown in insulation. My original job quote was not for a two stage thermostat or the labor to run additional wires. Right now I cannot afford to have this done so I will just wait and see how this system performs with the current thermostat.

Wayne

The Honeywell IAQ t-stat only needs 3 wire, be a heck a lot cheaper than trying to pull all new wires.