Boiler Cracked? How to tell?

Hi,

I just bought a house with forced hot water heating. It has a Burnham V7 series hot water boiler. The house is 14yrs old and I assume the boiler is original to the house.

The home inspector told me that the boiler requires yearly service so I called a company to come out. They told me that the boiler was cracked and needed to be replaced.

My question is...how can I tell if the boiler is actually cracked? It's not leaking any visible water (even a novice such as myself would take that as a hint that there was a problem!).

The contractor said he thought it was cracked before he even really looked at it? He then popped the side panel off and pointed to a discoloration on the side of the cast iron hx and said that this is where the crack is. When I asked why there was no water present (dry as a bone actually) he stated that the water is leaking out very slowly and evaporating so it is leaving behind the discoloration.

I will have to pop the panel and take a closer look myself but it looked to me like the cast iron part was in three bolt together sections and that the discoloration he was indicating was at the seem where two of the sections meet.

I want to get this taken care of if it is a problem but on the other hand this guy really seemed to be assuming the boiler needed to be replaced before he even looked at it so I'm wondering if there really is a problem at all. I've read the articles on the V7 crack problem so I guess it's possible (likely??) that it is cracked but every article/post I have been able to find, the people with the problem have said they had water coming out of the boiler through the crack, not just a discoloration??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Twilli say water run out on floor
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

water doesn't evaporate from a cold boiler, if it was cracked it would pool on the floor, I can't say that the boiler isn't in need of replacement, but I would find it really hard to believe there is a crack and no water on the floor.
    You can't fix stupid

I have a customer with a V series boiler which has two cracked sections. When the boiler is not firing, the water does not leak out. When it fires, the two cracks open up and start leaking. Recommend that you watch the suspect area while the boiler is firing. If you still are not seeing a leak, get another opinion from a different contractor.

Bill

Get a second opinion.
    The V7's do crack. But everyone we found, water was coming out at a steady rate.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Get a second opinion.
    The V7's do crack. But everyone we found, water was coming out at a steady rate.
    Ditto on that.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Quote Originally Posted by CommtechinVA View Post
    I have a customer with a V series boiler which has two cracked sections. When the boiler is not firing, the water does not leak out. When it fires, the two cracks open up and start leaking. Recommend that you watch the suspect area while the boiler is firing. If you still are not seeing a leak, get another opinion from a different contractor.

Bill
    Hi Bill,

The boiler did fire a few times while the panel was open and I did not see any moisture at all but I will take a closer look at it as soon as possible (we haven't actually moved in yet).