Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New generation refer mechs and new refrigerants..

IMHO one big hurdle new generation refer men is facing is the numorous R12 and R502 replacements.Old timers probably didn't face it because they witnessed and experienced the changes.I learned a lot of the issues around these replacement refrigerants from this forum and from the manufacturers' specs.
    It would be nice to read a summary of the history and differant aspecs of these refrigerants from the seosoned ones at this forum.
    What brought it up?
    Well I had to buy a can of MP66 today for the first time.

we old timers experienced it and still experiencing it. the only difference is our experience. this to you will find with time. each time a new refrigerant comes out we get the same learning curve as the younger mechs. Sometimes its a little steeper than yours

Two pieces of good advice...
    1) Don't believe most of what you hear regarding the blends
    2) Don't believe what you read on the ICOR website

OK, you're halfway there.

*****Clear The Sight Glass*****

Quote Originally Posted by ace12 View Post
    *****Clear The Sight Glass*****
    not always

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    Two pieces of good advice...
    1) Don't believe most of what you hear regarding the blends
    2) Don't believe what you read on the ICOR website

OK, you're halfway there.
    Are you implying they are not truthfull with there products, such refrigerants as

HOT SHOT r-12 drop in or, one shot R-502 drop in replacemnt.
    "Keep it simple"

Quote Originally Posted by NedFlanders View Post
    not always
    Under what circumstances would you not clear the glass. Most of the classes I have been to say you must clear the glass for TXV to work properly, even with blends.

Quote Originally Posted by ace12 View Post
    Under what circumstances would you not clear the glass. Most of the classes I have been to say you must clear the glass for TXV to work properly, even with blends.
    on start up.

Icor, Dupont, Honeywell etc all of them are in because of the $$$$..... wait till the patents for the new blends expires, I’ll bet someone will find a reason to phase them out too and a new line of “environmentally friendly” blends will be pushed through.
    I don’t believe that CFC or HCFC have anything to do with the global warming myth or the ozone layer depletion, someone told me that Dupont financed the research’s and lobbied the EPA in order to get the CFC and HCFC phased out. wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by hvacpope View Post
    Icor, Dupont, Honeywell etc all of them are in because of the $$$$..... wait till the patents for the new blends expires, I’ll bet someone will find a reason to phase them out too and a new line of “environmentally friendly” blends will be pushed through.
    I don’t believe that CFC or HCFC have anything to do with the global warming myth or the ozone layer depletion, someone told me that Dupont financed the research’s and lobbied the EPA in order to get the CFC and HCFC phased out. wonder why?
    I got mixed feelings on this, I agree with most of your statements above. But alot of good can come out of changes made like this. It got rid of alot of the people that were out here with a can of R-22, a can of R-502 and, a can of R-12 that considered thereselves refrigeration/air conditioning techs. It weeded out alot of the shops that had no business doing our jobs. In my opinion it has helped our field with what we can charge also.

Who paid for that big meeting in Montreal ?

Who funded the 'research' which pointed to CFC's as causing the "hole in the ozone layer"?

Who's idea was it to have a big meeting?

Who invited all the "top scientists"?

Anybody know?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

the story I hear a lot is that the patent for R12 was running out so DuPont had to transition to their patened R134 . Fact is the patent for R12 ran out in the 5-'s and R134 can be made by anyone (open patent)

there are many reason for the changes we are seeing but patents are not one of the,

Let's go back a litle further -

Why did we end up with almost all "freon" refrigetants?

What happened to methylene cloride? Surfur dioxide? Etc.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast