Thread: Draftless Diffussers

Post Likes

Draftless Diffussers

I've got an office suite with Titus MCDAA, square cieling diffussers. The occupants are complaining of drafts even after I changed the 4-way pattern to push air away from them. I'm looking for a diffuser that will spread the flow horizontaly accross the cieling.

Post Likes
    check the velocity at the diffuser neck, it shall not more than 4m/s ,

Post Likes
    If the diffuser is designed for the ceiling and has the airflow in its designed range, it is NOT blowing on the occupants. I've seen smoke tests in a lab for diffuses, and the air goes across the ceiling and down the wall with room air being pulled into the center of the diffuser.

Post Likes
    So if I understand what has been said, I should not be able to feel any air movement if I'm near a diffuser, if it's right for the application. The reason I want to clarify this is that there is no commercial building I've ever done work in where I haven't had complaints of "feeling the air."

Post Likes
    I had someone complain yesterday that they were feeling a draft. For some stupid reason, the mechanical company ( who wasn't too bright to begin with) decided to use an open, natural draft retun system in that specific area. Well I stood by her desk and kind of felt the cold draft, but I'm also moving constantly while she's sitting in her clostrophobic cube all day. I just ended up shutting the FPM on 2 diffusers in half by her and added filter media ontop of the return grilles, seems to work ok, haven't had a complaint yet. So you might want to try that even in your diffuser, just remember to change the filter media cause it gets dirty over a couple months time pretty quickly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FollettEngineer View Post
    I had someone complain yesterday that they were feeling a draft. For some stupid reason, the mechanical company ( who wasn't too bright to begin with) decided to use an open, natural draft retun system in that specific area. Well I stood by her desk and kind of felt the cold draft, but I'm also moving constantly while she's sitting in her clostrophobic cube all day. I just ended up shutting the FPM on 2 diffusers in half by her and added filter media ontop of the return grilles, seems to work ok, haven't had a complaint yet. So you might want to try that even in your diffuser, just remember to change the filter media cause it gets dirty over a couple months time pretty quickly.
    Closing down dampers is usually my last resort. I don't like to "un-balance" a system. I also don't like the building occupants to see the filters becasue they think they are getting poisened when they see the dirt accumulation.

Post Likes
    Well in my instance it was the draft from a return, and I was hesitant to close the dampers slightly due to unbalancing the system, but that's all I was left with unless I made the returns a force draft, which I'm still considering. But this was in an open office area, it won't work for all enviroments. I would just change the filters out on the weekends..lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in