one man vs carrier (COMFORT ID CONTROLLERS)

My Question Pertains To The Use Of A Belimo Actuator On A Comfort Id Controller For Modulating Hot Water. The Actuator Is A 0 To 10 Volt Dc Control. The Id Controller On The Heat 1 And Heat 2 Output Only Do 24 Volt Ac. The Local Carrier Reps Say That This Is Okay. I Believe Otherwise.

You are right, you cannot use a 0-10vDC actuator on the ComfortID Controllers.

To use proportional control the ComfortID uses Triac outputs which pulse the actuator clockwise or anticlockwise to open or close the valve.

Belimo can supply the actuators that will accomodate you for correct control.

grgjohno
    is correct in that you need a floating motor from Belimo (Heat one would power it open, and Heat 2 to power it closed) if you a trying to modulate this motor.

However, if you are just trying to open and close the motor, you can power the motor with 24V and common and land the 0-10 VDC signal wire on Heat 1. When Heat 1 energizes, it will drive the motor one way. When it de-energizes, it will drive back to the original position. Remember that this will be come a 2-position application.

much thanks guys. do appreciate the info.

I didnt think it was correct and i will see if heat 1 for the control signal only will work pkus the 24 volts ac. i am just not sure about the timing issues. but i will monitor operations. I dont know why carrier would sell us these controls together. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by simsd View Post
    However, if you are just trying to open and close the motor, you can power the motor with 24V and common and land the 0-10 VDC signal wire on Heat 1. When Heat 1 energizes, it will drive the motor one way. When it de-energizes, it will drive back to the original position. Remember that this will be come a 2-position application.
    J6 Terminals 4 & 5 [Heat1 & 24VAC] are N.O. Dry Contacts. The same with Terminals 5 & 6 [24VAC & Heat2]. If you dont put any power to Terminal 5 [24VAC] you wont get any voltage out of Heat1.

It will work if you wire the actuator as Simsd suggested and setup the heat operation for 2-postion. You will also need to run a wire from J4 Terminal 5 [+10V] to get the 10vdc for the actuator.

Quote Originally Posted by temptobehad View Post
    i am just not sure about the timing issues. but i will monitor operations. I dont know why carrier would sell us these controls together. thank you
    You should have no timing issues with the operation. A ComfortID can control several heat options [Modulating/VAV, Modulating/CV, Two Position or Staged Electric.]. You will need to configure the controller to match you setup. If needed you can even adjust the heating PID control, but I have never needed to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"