+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unusual foam appears when removing gauges from liquid line?

Post Likes

Unusual foam appears when removing gauges from liquid line?

Twice in the last 2 weeks of residential AC installations, when I was finishing up and removing my gauges I came across something I have never seen before. While removing the red hose off the liquid line, instead of a small amount of refrigerant escaping I had a small amount of a white foam push out instead... Has anybody experienced this or know what my be the cause and is it a bad thing to see? The systems were both R-410 with POE oil.

Maybe it is something to do with pulling the vacuum, or maybe from the nitrogen pressure test? Very unusual to see...

RG

Post Likes
    Sounds to me like oil with refrigerant boiling off in it. "IF" that's what it is the next thing is to determine if it's normal oil migration or if it's excessive.

Post Likes
    It's oil mixed with the refrigerant, it's normal!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Would it have anything to do with what service valve I open first when releasing the factory charge from the outdoor coil? I usually open the liquid line first as I was told to follow the natural flow of the refrigerant in the system during operarion...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I was taught to open the liquid service valve first prolly like alot of folks. In the end, the service or install manual for what piece of equipment you are working on should be followed. Trane and Goodman say to open the suction service valve first and that is what I have been doing for a while now. A while back I was doing a startup on a HP condenser, cant remember the brand but when I started it after opening the Liq. valve first, the compressor got very noisy initially and then quieted down but I didnt like how it sounded, thats for sure. Thats when I did some reading like I should have done instead of just listening to others and found that most manuals say to open suction first. The manuals that do explain it say that it will draw oil out of the compressor and into the txv. I guess its debatable and some folks do it one way and other do it another way. Follow the instructions so if there is a problem, you can always say that you followed the manufacturers installation instructions for CYA purposes of course. I havent ever had a problem with a unit doing it either way except for the one unit that got noisy on startup. Let the debate begin.......: P
    l8r

Post Likes

Unusual foam appears when removing gauges from liquid line?

Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    Sounds to me like oil with refrigerant boiling off in it. "IF" that's what it is the next thing is to determine if it's normal oil migration or if it's excessive.
    Kls is correct. The white foam your seeing is caused by refrigerant boiling off in the oil. A working crank case heater will keep this to a minimum in residential applications.

Post Likes
    X2 on opening the suction line first.

Post Likes
    Definitely oil mixed with refrigerant and it is very important to read the manual because different manufacturers require different procedures for different equipment

Post Likes
    Are we talking about when you first put your gauges on or when you are taking them off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Taking them off...

Post Likes
    Follow manufactures instructions.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubby604 View Post
    Taking them off...

Roger that, so then were talking about when you bleed the puron from your high side hose back into the low side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I've always opened the suction first. That's just how i was taught but it's probably not a bad idea to follow manufacturer instructions.That shouldn't have anything to do with the foam though

Post Likes
    I had that happen today when purging my low side hose at the manifold...I was hooking up.. it was like shaving cream! I was quite confused never seen that before in that much excess

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in