test tools for the van
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

test tools for the van

my new job supplies the oxyactalyene kit vacc. pump, recovery machine, nitrogen reg and tank, they gave me a tool acct. for me to get whatever else i need and they'll take it out of paycheck here's my list, can anyone think of anything else

water tube manometer
    draft gauge
    flaring,swaging set
    hub puller
    freon gauges
    micron gauge
    RLD H10G leak detecter(my fav.)
    magnahelic gauge
    freon scale
    prim. transformer tester
    water nozzle
    ext. cords
    droplight
    pump sprayer
    uei comb. analizer c50

what kind of work you doing?

commerical

Pick yourself up a testo 510 manometer, it will work for the draft gauge, water tube manometer, and magnehlic. It will also measure airflow in FPM with a Pitot Tube. 0-40" auto scaling so it will cover all three plus airflow.

Also look at the testo 327, if you want to go cheaper, less the printer and case, it is under $1000.00 and has a 3 year CO and O2 warranty.

How about some meters?
    JLB,

got a fluke 16 and a ampprobe

I don't know about everyone else but I draw the line at buying expensive test equipment to work for an employer. Even now that I am running my own show I cant imagine making someone cough up a few grand in test tools to only work for me.

I had the local big box company offer me a job a few years ago. I think the ONLY thing they supplied was tanks, and recovery machines. Everything else they wanted me to supply. I added it all up and it was about 3k in tools on TOP of the tools I had from the previous 5 years in the field. This was 10 years ago so stuff would be more now.

I don't know that I would feel comfortable buying test equipment to work at a company. A combustion tester is something that you assume allot of liability if its malfunctioning. This is something that should be company owned and maintained in my book.
    I will believe that the government is broke when the welfare checks start bouncing!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy-lvhm View Post
    I don't know about everyone else but I draw the line at buying expensive test equipment to work for an employer. Even now that I am running my own show I cant imagine making someone cough up a few grand in test tools to only work for me.

I had the local big box company offer me a job a few years ago. I think the ONLY thing they supplied was tanks, and recovery machines. Everything else they wanted me to supply. I added it all up and it was about 3k in tools on TOP of the tools I had from the previous 5 years in the field. This was 10 years ago so stuff would be more now.

I don't know that I would feel comfortable buying test equipment to work at a company. A combustion tester is something that you assume allot of liability if its malfunctioning. This is something that should be company owned and maintained in my book.

You whinning about $3000.00? Man try being a auto, heavy duty or transport mechanic. $50,000.00 plus is pretty normal.

i think the tech should have his own hand tools/power tools(drill, and sawzall)/Dmm/ and Temp measurement equipment thats all

starting out fresh you should be able to have all that for $500 or so. ive never got to work with a company that offered a tool account but that would be nice
    I the kind that usually has too much stuff because i hate needed something and not having it

people laugh at me for bring a 30 to 40 pound tool bag with me up on a roof then i laugh when they have to climb back down to get something from the van

now if i had to work for someone that wanted me to buy a refrig. scale or a leak detector that i would end up paying for (assuming its not the cheap kinds from a harbor freight tool or something) id be pretty pissed off

But you gotta understand why they want you to buy your own stuff cause they dont wanna be at a loss when someone quites or gets canned and stuff starts missing from the truck

Quote Originally Posted by Reeferman View Post
    You whinning about $3000.00? Man try being a auto, heavy duty or transport mechanic. $50,000.00 plus is pretty normal.
    I agree. One of the most underpaid jobs for what they invest in tools. I've always said that. I think 50k is a bit over the top but who knows. Hey I'm not whining either. I just said it wasn't for me. In this business we all know what we can make a company. There is no need to have to buy anything that you cant use on your own time. MOST companies don't want you moonlighting HVAC and some even make you sign agreements (this one I was referring to was one) but then want you to invest money in tools that you cant use on anything else like a leak detector, combustion meter, vacuum pump, etc. I can take my hand tools and work on my house or car. I spent enough on tools at that point and still spend more every year of coarse. The 12 an hour job at the time didn't warrant me spending that kind of money. And the funny thing is as I made more money, I had to buy less and less tools...coincidence?
    I will believe that the government is broke when the welfare checks start bouncing!!

Quote Originally Posted by coolerinfrederick View Post
    commerical
    A new ladder and a good rope.

I bet the ladder you get assinged is OOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDD
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

Quote Originally Posted by scottsacavsfan View Post
    A new ladder and a good rope.

I bet the ladder you get assinged is OOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDD
    all you have to do in that case is tell your boss that you dont feel safe with that ladder then they will pretty much have to buy you a new one, its a liability thing, and im sure if you fall off that ladder and its documented that you told them it wasn't safe, it would be a nice lawsuit

I like the nice fiberglass 350lb ones, imma big guy so the extra weight of fiberglass don't bother me, i just like hearing all the other guys whining about it

Cooler--your basic list looks pretty good. If you are doing documented start-ups for manufacturers, you may need a few more things--they sometimes want quite a few readings on their sheets--humidity, gas gage readings, etc. I have a differential manometer which can be quite useful as well as a dual input temperature meter so that I can do differentials across coils, etc. A good psychrometer is useful--I have an old style sling one and a new Testo digital one. Non-contact (i.e. infrared) thermmometers are useful for a lot of things. A pocket dial thermometer is good for a quick ballpark reading--cheaper and much more durable than the digital ones. Hopefully this helps.

coil gun and a hose

RJW
    Senior counter/Inside sales HVACR
    HVACR/Plumbing service tech

Try...there is no try only DO or Do Not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast