Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 26 of 26
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    790
    not fimilur with this model but does it use water asisted harvest?? and is that working properly... Correct water pressure to unit.. I had a new manitowoc under counter that used water assisted harvest and the unit wouldn't harvest.. They used a piercing valve to bring thge water to the machine and it wasn't open all the way and unit wasn't getting enough water.. To check if its the harvest valve not opening enough put a thermoter on each side and see if theres a difference in temp, and make sure the head pressure is where it needs to be

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    677

    Talking

    Argghh! Somebody said the K word(Koldraft) (Rube Goldberg POS that they were/are)

    B -

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Biblepoet View Post
    Argghh! Somebody said the K word(Koldraft) (Rube Goldberg POS that they were/are)

    B -
    Who would have thought that you could hang a container of water on a sump pump switch and figgure out how thick the ice was. Wasted more time seting them up.

    But what about the old Scotsman (round cubes) It was a upside down ice tray with a rotating spray bar. They used to wear the drive lugs off, the gear motors would break the mounting bolts. They had Copeland Semi's and weighed a ton. They where fun

    Anyway, I got back to the SCE 170 today. Someone had turned it back on and now the compressor is locked up so it's off to the scrap heap.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
    Who would have thought that you could hang a container of water on a sump pump switch and figgure out how thick the ice was. Wasted more time seting them up.

    But what about the old Scotsman (round cubes) It was a upside down ice tray with a rotating spray bar. They used to wear the drive lugs off, the gear motors would break the mounting bolts. They had Copeland Semi's and weighed a ton. They where fun

    Anyway, I got back to the SCE 170 today. Someone had turned it back on and now the compressor is locked up so it's off to the scrap heap.
    ah yes the AC25's and so on....methinks you should rethink your defintion of "fun"

    B-

  5. #18

    loose grid

    Quote Originally Posted by tbk View Post
    Check the grip plates for loose, they are not supposed to move at all!
    common failure and same problems on many of these 170's.
    Oh and the new plate only cost $600.00 lol
    had same problem with loose grid ......had sweated back together saved alot of $$$$$

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by bv6230 View Post
    had same problem with loose grid ......had sweated back together saved alot of $$$$$
    What did you use to "sweat" it back together?

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
    I aggree that it's not worth the time but they pay me to be here all day anyway. If it comes down to the Evaporator being bad then the machine will be replaced. I just want to be sure I am not missing something.

    I am going to shoot temps and look at low side presure on one of the identical units before I give up on this one.

    Been working on ice makers since KoldDraft had Float Chambers, always hated wating around for 1 or more cycles to see if it's fixed.
    Shoot temps? Not with laser I hope. Hard to get accurate temp off of copper pipe with infared. IMO. If ice can't be pulled off after 4 min then it's frozen to something that is not getting hot gas. Even with plating issues after 4 min you should be able to pull it off. Unless its so scaled up heat won't transfer enough on side walls of grid. Have you cleaned it?

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,565
    Quote Originally Posted by schmuck View Post
    What did you use to "sweat" it back together?
    since that member posted that 4 years ago and its the only post they've ever made I'm guessing we'll never know.


    also I'm pretty sure its impossible to sweat an SCE or CME evap back together. They're half plastic.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    since that member posted that 4 years ago and its the only post they've ever made I'm guessing we'll never know.


    also I'm pretty sure its impossible to sweat an SCE or CME evap back together. They're half plastic.
    Mine is total metal. Looks like stainless but I don't think it is. I'm pretty sure it is nickel coated. It does have some plastic guards that are bolted to the sides and bottom of it though. These are easily removed with a 5/16 socket. The cube separators are loose and looks like they have separated from the back of the evap plate. There should be an easy fix for this if someone could just figure out what type of material to use to fuse it back together.
    Shame on Scotsman for overpricing a part to that extent.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    165
    Name:  IMG_0096.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  39.0 KBName:  IMG_0094.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  48.4 KB

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    116
    Nickel coated copper, if you pull the loose slats out with a pliers you might get a little more life out of it, can't really solder or replate them, just take it on the chin or replace the machine... Just don't get a scotsman this time (or ice-o-matic, since that is who made that evaporator)

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,565
    hmmm, mistake on my part. i never realized scotsman made a machine with those evaps. All the undercounter machines ive worked on had the nickle/plastic evaps that made pillow cubes. I always called them SCE's and never looked at the tags. I guess thats why the counter guy looked at me funny last time I asked for a set of bin eyes for an SCE (they don't exist) and then just told him to give me some scotsman eyes.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    116
    SCE 170 has this style evaporator, sce 275 has two pillow cube evaporators. So, SCE275 would have normal bin eyes, SCE170 has a curtain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event