Am I the only one cookin' this weekend?

Finishing off 8# of Canadian bacon tonight. Started off with a seasoned brine last Sunday, treating a boneless pork loin, cut into three pieces. 6 days later, rinsed it in cold water for a few hours, gave it a dry rub, then smoked it for 6 hours with apple chips. The results-

Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    That looks goooood...........One of my favorites.
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

what type of brine dd you use? a basic 1:1 ratio or somthing else? what temp did you bring it up to? looks good think im gonna get a couple in the brine today
    Last edited by Whale4; 12-09-2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typo
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
    Jerry Garcia

Whale4

Brine recipe-

1 Gallon water
    1.25 Cup Morton tenderquick
    5 Bay Leaves
    1.25 Cup brown sugar
    6 cloves garlic sliced or mashed
    1 Tbs juniper berries
    1 Tbs course ground pepper

Bring it all to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. Chill to 38 deg before adding loin pieces.

I smoke at 200 deg for the first 2 hours with heavy smoke, vents wide open, then at 225deg until the meat's internal temp hits 145deg. When I get to 145, I quick chill in plastic bags in an ice bath.

When curing to 145deg, the meat must be fried before eating.

Let me know if you like it!

It will be a few weeks I cant find the cure or juniper berries anywhere around me so Im gonna order them
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
    Jerry Garcia

You can usually find Tenderquick at the grocery store if you are in a more rural area. It can also be replaced with 3 oz Prague Powder #1 (the pink cure), and 1 cup Pickling salt.

If you are craving the bacon, hold off on the juniper berries. I don't think they make a huge difference.

I cooked a turkey on my grill rotisserie today. 12 pounder with a rub of salt, cracked pepper, cayenne flakes, thyme, sage, rubbed inside and out. I stuffed the inside with chopped onions, apples, garlic and olive oil. I cooked it with a couple of pieces of dogwood in the grill that I lit with 2 of the grills main burners. Turned out real nice.
    Luke 6:31

Those of you that made it to the Bennington Convention remember my camp. Well we have dedicated ourselves to keeping that road open for the winter. That ain't no easy road to plow. We had 14" of snow so we had 3 vehicles stuck over the weekend. (alcohol was involved) so you know I had some hungry campers.

I made some great beef stew last night and some pretty good home fries for the breakfasts. Of course everything taste better at camp.

So that is how you make Canadian bacon. Looks great.

Makes me want to invest in a smoker. Maybe Santa will bring one this year.

There is Canadian bacon and then there is our American greasy variety and that is about it.

Over in England them Som o' beeeches have about 12 kinds of bacon. Them boys are into bacon.

75 out here tonite thx to GW...still cooking ribs, nothing like summer in Dec..............

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Those of you that made it to the Bennington Convention remember my camp. Well we have dedicated ourselves to keeping that road open for the winter. That ain't no easy road to plow. We had 14" of snow so we had 3 vehicles stuck over the weekend. (alcohol was involved) so you know I had some hungry campers.

I made some great beef stew last night and some pretty good home fries for the breakfasts. Of course everything taste better at camp.

So that is how you make Canadian bacon. Looks great.
    I wish I had a good beef stew recipie!! ( Hint Hint! )