Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

electrical meters

I am sure this question has been asked here before but I will start one again what is your favorite electrical meter you have.

I mean a diagnostic meter.

what are all the necessary settings it should have?

Volt
    Amps
    resistance
    Milli volts
    Milli amps

and the big question is mega ohms, do you feel like this is a worth wile setting to have on your meter??

and what situation has it come in handy??

I have used one once to verify a bad compressor I got the exact mega ohms and called support to verify that it had to be condemned. Now I have talked to other Techs that say it is a useless accessory.

What do you think??
    I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.

What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

I use a Fluke 116. Does VAC, VDC, MaVDC, capacitance, temperature, Ohms/ megohms, continuity, maybe a thing or 2 more.

Megohm readings come in handy when you want to keep an eye on the condition of any motor really but for compressor windings especially. Say you check a compressors windings and find that you get a reading of 25 megohms, that alone gives you a reason to do an acid test and at the very least let the customer know that something is going on inside the system. It's just another tool in your arsenal, you don't have to use it but its there if you need it. That and it just happens that you'll be a better tech than the next guy because you do use it.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

i forgot what mine is, i know its yellow!

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    i forgot what mine is, i know its yellow!

Mine's yellow too!
    What a quinkiedink!
    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." -- Mark Twain

I have a couple different flukes, but my fav. is the T5-600, fits right in my back pocket

As stated before in another thread I must confess. I am a Fluke acholic. I have a Fluke 16 and a Fluke 332. I have the new Fluke 902 plus the new Fluke 116. I have the Fluke Volt Alert low voltage and high voltage. I have the CO meter that plugs into the 16 or the 116. Also all sorts of probes and pipe clamps plus the Fluke 52 duel temp. After all that I feel like buying some new toy I mean Tool.
    Peter

Fluke!!!!! Safety Is First

I agree Fluke or field piece. You get what you pay for. Make sure they have internal fuses and are rated for the voltage you are using. If you are using above 120V DONT skimp. try and see the Fluke video on arc flash and they show competition's meters and how they compare. I have one that does everything included measuring farads which is the best way to check capacitors.

SAFETY HAS NO COST! Buy a good meter that is UL tested and is rated for the usage

Cool

Cat. III meter a must!
    I like Fluke 16, which aside from basic functions, can read millivolts dc and microamperes for flame rectification.
    Hearthman

I mainly use my 902,but I have an 322/116 combo,16,30,52 and I would not take anything but a fluke from now on

I think I am going to get this set up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fluke-116-62-HVA...QQcmdZViewItem

after Christmas of course

unless someone on here wants my address so they can surprise me.
    I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.

What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChrL_Brann View Post
    I mainly use my 902,but I have an 322/116 combo,16,30,52 and I would not take anything but a fluke from now on
    How do you like the 902? I have some "tool bucks" to burn up at one of the supply houses and have been eyeing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by DesMech View Post
    How do you like the 902? I have some "tool bucks" to burn up at one of the supply houses and have been eyeing it up.
    i took 2 of them back. i hated how far off the temperature can be. sometimes its dead on, sometimes it way off. i tried different probes and returned one meter to try another, same outcome.

i just went back to my good old 16/322 combo which has never failed me.

I use the 902 everyday that is my main meter. I bought the 116 for the DC millvolt that the 902 was missing. I still run into a use for that once in awhile on older furnaces and hot water tanks and fireplaces for the thermocouple testing. If the 902 just had that feature I would be all set.

Peter

Then again they might come out with another meter that has all those features and I would just have to buy that too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast