Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Well, just started, but I bring around with me my 5/16'' nut driver, my LED maglight, and my voltage detector. Other than that, my tool pouch is generally with me. Contains my hands tools, meter, and a couple of wrenches. My light is on my belt, and my voltage detector is in my shirt pocket.

Because I haven't been given a truck just yet, I have to carry as much as I think I will need, so it's a bit of a pain in the ass. But, I make do because I'm always with a fully equipped mechanic or another apprentice.

Still can't wait to get my meter sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian10161 View Post
    pain in the ass.

Still can't wait to get my meter sorted out.

PITA

sort out meter whats wrong with the meter? or is it the user? we can help with that too
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    PITA

sort out meter whats wrong with the meter? or is it the user? we can help with that too
    hehe :P

Don't know what the problem is, but my meter isn't working 100%, I check across 240+ volts, and it resets. Possibly a safety thing. Contacted manufacturer, no reason for why it's doing it. Tried 3 other meters, same model and stuff, all do it.

It's a TPI 265 Clamp Meter.

If I had a belt holder for that screwdriver along with my Gerber and 2AA led mag lite and Fluke 20-90 volt stick I would be all set for just about anything I come across in a day. Resi service. I like the nut drivers on this screwdriver nice and solid.

Peter
    I have been using this product for quite a few years, it is called a Pock-It and made by Nite Ize, here is the link to their site,
    http://www.niteize.com/productdetail...&product_id=63
    Lowe's use to carry their products but stopped so now I order direct, they also have different set ups that you can get.
    Last edited by sparky05; 04-08-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Missed the letter e on the end of the word "here"
    RSES Member.
    Mainstream Engineering Certified.
    HVAC/R PM Technician.
    410A, & GREEN HVAC/R Technician.
    NATE Core.
    Working not as to please men but to the Glory of Christ my KING.

here in the dark motor rooms of L.A.
    I would not dare enter without my trusty STREAM LIGHT STINGER XT HP
    although often times its too bright..beware when you shine it in that sightglass, the reflection will temporarily blind you.

My next most used tools is my dang books..i would be nothing without my sporlan,parker,RS and many other books...and by the way, yes you need to read the books too. just having them wont help much.

hehe :P

Don't know what the problem is, but my meter isn't working 100%, I check across 240+ volts, and it resets. Possibly a safety thing. Contacted manufacturer, no reason for why it's doing it. Tried 3 other meters, same model and stuff, all do it.

It's a TPI 265 Clamp Meter.
    thats not good!!! they say thats the way it suposed to work? assuning you are setting it on the setting for AC votage. i would look into another meter if that is the case. i am not familiar with TPI or your specific meter. but you are right, that is a safety issue!! have you looked at any of the fieldpiece meters? i have used both the SC77 and the HS36 (i use all the time) and they will read 240 and they also beep whenever they are connected to potentially dangerous voltage. they also have a non-contact voltage feature. is TPI willing to take it back and recheck that meter? calibrate and so on?

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Meter and a 6 in 1. I also found a 1/4", 5/6' Reversible ratching wrench at home depot that I carry.
    If you didn't do it right the first time it probably makes sense that your here asking the right way to do it now

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    thats not good!!! they say thats the way it suposed to work? assuning you are setting it on the setting for AC votage. i would look into another meter if that is the case. i am not familiar with TPI or your specific meter. but you are right, that is a safety issue!! have you looked at any of the fieldpiece meters? i have used both the SC77 and the HS36 (i use all the time) and they will read 240 and they also beep whenever they are connected to potentially dangerous voltage. they also have a non-contact voltage feature. is TPI willing to take it back and recheck that meter? calibrate and so on?
    I have spoken to a guy from TPI and he said he's going to check it out. Hopefully he gets back to me, but until then, I am sort of without a meter. I mean, this thing I can work with, but it is a safety issue. It is on AC volts, and the battery is fine, so I haven't a clue whats causing it. My dad thinks its the auto ranging circuit, which makes sense since his 255 (model that was replaced with the 265) works fine. His doesn't have the manual ranging option, so we think that one was just better quality.

I have looked into the Fieldpiece meters, but I just don't find them my style. I prefer a meter that looks and holds in your hand like my 265. Just preference, the meters seem of really good quality and they seem to be quite accurate. I'm looking into one of the UEI Phoenix series Clamps, just trying to find a price at local suppliers. Looks to be around 115 dollars depending on supplier.

Off for now.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    I use my brain the most, but if the call is easy I put it in my Veto Pro bag and use it as a kneeler.

Oh, I almost forgot, an LED flash light, and my reading glasses.

My favorite part of the job is writing the bill.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

this is unbelievable..?!!?!

after reading 7 pages i only see one post about the single most important tool i carry.

a POCKET SCREWDRIVER!

man.. i cant even count the number of times I've had the pleasure of using this bad boy, in the 2 years ive been in the trade i have probably gone through about 20 of them. Not counting the ones I've lost or thrown in anger LOL!

but the use for them is endless, i have pulled out stuck filters, pryed open stuck panels, push contacts, tighten screws..especially t-stat and circuit boards. If i forget my jumpers or dont have them, 2 pocket screwdrivers crisscrossed work just fine. Hell even if im going through a door that i know will lock behind me and i dont have a key, i just shim it between the door and the frame to hold it open.

Hey this gives me a good idea, i'm gonna make a thread on ALL the potential uses for this LOL.

ps, i forgot. i also have one for our controls side, and instead of a valve core remover on my regular ones, i have a small hex head, which works great on the pneumatic stats and things like that

I have spoken to a guy from TPI and he said he's going to check it out. Hopefully he gets back to me, but until then, I am sort of without a meter. I mean, this thing I can work with, but it is a safety issue. It is on AC volts, and the battery is fine, so I haven't a clue whats causing it. My dad thinks its the auto ranging circuit, which makes sense since his 255 (model that was replaced with the 265) works fine. His doesn't have the manual ranging option, so we think that one was just better quality.

I have looked into the Fieldpiece meters, but I just don't find them my style. I prefer a meter that looks and holds in your hand like my 265. Just preference, the meters seem of really good quality and they seem to be quite accurate. I'm looking into one of the UEI Phoenix series Clamps, just trying to find a price at local suppliers. Looks to be around 115 dollars depending on supplier.

Off for now.
    i would stray far away from UEI, just words of experience my feildpeice HS36 has a magnet on it. i very rarely hold it in my hand. i just hold the 2 leads no more playing chopsticks, holding meter and 2 leads

Been told by a lot of people to stay away from UEI, used my uncles UEI clamp, and man, its terrible. Obscure readings, variances, and large variances.

I checked out the Fieldpiece SC53, and I must say, that is a nice meter. Hopefully United Refrigeration or some other local suppliers have one that I can pick up when I (possibly) return my TPI.

Not making any money right now as I'm on the Co-op program, so its pretty hard to get good hand tools, but I must spend my money wisely.

definitely my 6-way screwdriver I have other tools that are more important, but the driver is the most used.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast