Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Hybrid View

your most used tool??

What is that one tool you carry with you to every service call that you just cant live with out???

other than the standard, long 5/16 and, electrical meeter, and yada yada,

I'm looking for the kind of tool that you did not know you needed until you had it.
    I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.

What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

My knowledge and experience, without those I can't do a bloody thing!
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

My most prized tool.....................I can't discuss it here...............

The three things I have with me at all times and are always on my belt. Don't leave home without them.
    3 Watt Led mini mag lite 2 AA cell
    Fluke Volt alert 24volt to 90 volt - 80volt to 600 volt in tool bag
    Gerber Recoil
    Peter
    Last edited by ptemko; 01-27-2008 at 07:01 PM.

almost always have on me on or off the clock

Coast tactical focusable led
    Irwin 9-in-1 (much better than Klien 10-in-1)
    Fluke volt stick low volt

if I actually mean business

bosh I-driver
    Coast tactical focus able led
    UEI DL289

with these 3 its hard to believe how much I can fix

Exclamation top 3

1- Stinger flashlight
    2- chemical smoke puffer
    3-digital camera

I went into the new LOWES here in Hamilton that just opened and took alook around and the one thing that I did buy was a IRWIN 9-1 screwdriver. I was looking for a screw driver that could do it all and made more room in my tool bag.

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/resources...crewdriver.pdf

Peter
    Last edited by ptemko; 12-14-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by william antley View Post
    My knowledge and experience, without those I can't do a bloody thing!
    And a sense of humor!

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn79 View Post
    What is that one tool you carry with you to every service call that you just cant live with out???

other than the standard, long 5/16 and, electrical meeter, and yada yada,

I'm looking for the kind of tool that you did not know you needed until you had it.
    Hmmmm. Well, I can't really think of any ONE particular tool that I could not do without on EVERY service call ... except, as one previous responder mentioned ... my own brain and it's knowledge and experience.

One of the problems with your question is that many of those who might give an answer to it work in various different areas of the HVAC field. Therefore, any particular "must have" tool might vary between them depending on the specific kind of work they're doing (type of service call they're making).

For instance, right now I do almost exclusively DDC controls. In previous employment I did almost exclusively boilers in yet another job ... almost exclusively package AC units, in yet another job ... almost exclusively large centrifugal units. Etc.

In general, I'm sort of the lazy type. I tend to hate packing around a bunch of stuff I may or may not need. And tend to want to see what I'm up against as concerns the trouble call before I start breaking out a lot of stuff from the truck.

So, over time, after having worked with a lot of different equipment for many years, I pretty much settled on a standard "load-out" of stuff I carry pretty much all the time. It's small in number, weight and total size. And as I'm given to wearing clothing with sizable pockets (including "cargo pants"), it all fits easily into my pockets or pouch on the belt.

Mag-Lite, 2 AA battery type, with LED bulbs
    Multi-tool, Buck type (just my own preference)
    Folding Hunter style knife, Buck ... again
    Couple "tweaker" screwdrivers ... small ones in shirt pocket
    Klein 10-in-1 screwdriver
    Klein Wire stripper
    Roll of electricians tape ... used for all sorts of purposes
    Couple home made jumper wires ... alligator clips plus On-Off switch
    Pocket DMM ... usually Fluke T5-600 or equivalent
    Small parts case ... with a few wire nuts, etc. Fits in any pocket
    Pocket digital thermometer

Between all that stuff I'm often able to fix or at least do preliminary diagnosis of equipment to narrow down to where the source of the problem lies.

My first objective is always to figure out WHERE and WHAT of the problem. Or, to establish "what it is not". From there I can decide more accurately what other tools and/or materials I need.

Did I mention that I HATE dragging around a lot of stuff around that I end up not needing? :-)

With the items I listed, I can usually get a pretty durned fair idea of precisely what I will need to fix the problem or do a further, final diagnosis.

As far as your question as concerns the kind of tool that I didn't know I needed til I had it ... not a lot comes to mind. Except, perhaps two items.

One is a set (metric and American standard) of those combo wrenches with the ratcheting box ends. Geez, they can come in really handy at times.

The other is the Alligator pliers.
    http://www.crawfordtool.com/knipex_alligator.html

The Alligator is a sort of channel lock plier. But it grips stuff FARRRRR better than a regular channel lock. There is simply no comparison in gripping power.

I liked em so much that after getting one to test out, at my employers expense, I went back and bought a whole set of em for my personal tool box at home.

Front shirt pockets: 2 AA led pin lite, pen, pad of paper (with temp/pres. chart for summer), folding business card holder (also store my parts supplier ph. #'s, customer checks, cc receipts in there)

Front right pants pocket: pocket knife, 1/4" bit, 5/16" bit, loose change

cell on belt, tool bag on shoulder

Oh, you asked for 1 tool

I'd say that the one tool that I have with me no matter the project which I didn't know I needed till I was given the idea by a co-worker is a Digital Voice Recorder. It is so much faster than jotting things down on a piece of paper and if I'm asking for some information verbatum from someone else... they can just talk right into the recorder. My company recently got me a new cell phone that has a recorder built into it so that makes my load even lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnPrana View Post
    I'd say that the one tool that I have with me no matter the project which I didn't know I needed till I was given the idea by a co-worker is a Digital Voice Recorder. It is so much faster than jotting things down on a piece of paper and if I'm asking for some information verbatum from someone else... they can just talk right into the recorder. My company recently got me a new cell phone that has a recorder built into it so that makes my load even lighter.
    Thats a good Idea

It could also help to keep track of time on a job when you are running around like a fool on the really hot of cold days
    I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.

What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

1) klein 10 in 1 (although having seen the Irwin may be time for a change, I was going to try the Lenox 9 in 1 but the Irwin looks even better)

2) cell phone

3) fluke volt tick

4) jumpers

5) yellow jacket led

6) lunch money

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast