Thread: Carrier Oil Furnace - Repair or Replace?

Post Likes

Carrier Oil Furnace - Repair or Replace?

Have a 1990 Carrier 100,000 btu Oil furnace that's been serviced annually. The tech from our oil company has told us the heat exchanger is cracked and the furnace needs to be replaced. I found out that Carrier's warranty is actually 20 years on the heat exchanger part (no labor) so this part could be replaced under warranty but we'd still have a sizable labor installation fee. Should we invest money in repairing this or look for a newer furnace? In looking through this forum and other sites, it appears the one Canadian company now actually manufacturers Carrier Lenox and Trane furnances. Willamson and Thermopride are brands our oil dealer carriers - they are pushing Williamson over Thermopride (claim they can not get parts for Thermopride). Appreciate any recommendations on repair or new - and recommendations on Carrier - Willamson - Thermopride - American Standard.

Post Likes
    with out actually knowing the labor cost I dont see how repair under warranty could be any where near the cost of replacing. If thats the only thing wrong why get rid of it or are there other easons you want something new?

Post Likes

Labor costs

The labor quote for repair is about 1/3rd that of a new Carrier. The tech can't say if they will find something else wrong when they replace the part. I have no compelling reason for a new furnance - just trying to determine what professionals would recommend as we don't want to throw good money after bad if a year or so down the road we need to replace the furnace.

Post Likes
    We've got a Thermopride that is one fine oil furnace. Built like a tank, sheet metal like a 57 Chevy. With a Riello burner and a .5 gph nozzle very efficient, like 200 gal for a 1200 sf house over a New England winter. Pretty quiet too, compared to our old one, and we've got a big old former gravity furnace duct for a supply.

I'd get the Thermopride, don't mess with it again.

Post Likes
    1/3 seems odd either furnaces are very cheap there or labor very expensive If a manufacturer warrantied the most expensive part in your furnace for twenty years they must have thought that model would last a long time. They're usually right. I believe you are very safe doing the repair this things still a baby. I dont want to see you throw away money on something you dont need. I would also get second opinion not really on the diagnosis but just can you get a better rate and still quality work. Remember too thats the most expensive repair you should see. anything else that could go wrong shouldnt really be too exspensive.

Post Likes
    replace the heat exchanger and have it set up on a service program.you dont need a new furnace

Post Likes
    Why put that money into a 17 year old piece of equipment. Go with new and update. I think you will be happier in the long run. Just my opinion.

Post Likes
    new heat exchanger to go along with a 17 yr old blower assy, and oil gun? No thanks, I would replace the whole works, what happens when the blower moter fails next yr? Then the following yr major oil gun issues, need to replace a few items on that, oops guess I should have replaced the whole thing when they told me too.
    You can't fix stupid

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in