Refrigerant Distributors

I have a evap coil with distribution problems. Can anyone explain the pros and cons of nozzle distributor as compared to venturi distributors.

Quote Originally Posted by johndief View Post
    I have a evap coil with distribution problems. Can anyone explain the pros and cons of nozzle distributor as compared to venturi distributors.
    On a commercial refrigeration evap coil the nozzle is installed into the inlet of the distributor after the TEV. Is that what your question is about.

Quote Originally Posted by powell View Post
    On a commercial refrigeration evap coil the nozzle is installed into the inlet of the distributor after the TEV. Is that what your question is about.
    I understand that a distributor mixes the liquid and vapor refrigerant that leaves the txv and distributes it evenly through the circuts in the evaporator coil. My question is more about why there are two differant types and the diferances in there operation along whith why one is chosen over the other. Is venturri better for some aplications than others or is it a less costly distributor to produce. Why do some manufactures use nozzles and not venturris. I was looking for some opinions.

Myself i have never heard of a venturi type of distributors. if your having problems how have you determined that it is the distributor? on refrigerant distributors the key is the correct orifice size for the refrigerant you are using. too many times i have seen a little bit of solder rolling around and blocking one of the passes. there could be the wrong orifice in the distributor. I once had a hussmann case that had one of the tubes not drilled out from the factory. a little more info is needed on this.

Quote Originally Posted by johndief View Post
    johndief,

I understand the question now, not your fault but mine.....senior brain fart.

Nozzle type distributor:
    By changing nozzles with different orifice sizes, one body type may be used for various refrigerants, loads, and also for different numbers of circuit sizes.

Venturi distributor:
    Has a machined, contoured throat on the approach side which is determined by the number and size of the circuits and cannot be altered.

In other words the nozzle type is adaptable and the manufacturer needs only to supply the orifices. The venturi type is specific to the application.

Powell

looks like i misunderstood the question myself. now i know why i have never seen a venturi type distributor in a supermarket. good info Powell