Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rackrookie is offline Regular Member - bad email address Contact the Admin

breaker tripping but not grounded semihermetic Copelamatic

Two days ago I noticed that one of the compressors from this rack was not running. I checked the breaker and found it tripped. After resetting it, the compressor tripped it again when tried to start. Went thru the already learnt procedure of checking winding continuity and terminal to ground check. Nothing unusual. Tried to start the unit for third time, with the same breaker tripping result. Removed the oil pump and was able to turn the crankshaft by hand, so I eliminated the possibility of a mechanical lock-up. My supervisor suggested an oil check. It came out black and smelly: burnout ??? Removed the stator cover and found the winding mostly ok but with just some blackened coils. How is it possible for a stator to be burnout and still give continuity readings between the terminals and no terminal to ground path?

By the way, any suggestion for speeding up the process of removing the old gaskets adhered to the semihermetic metal? The knife scrapping method seems to slow to me?

Did you check the compressor on the ohm scale, and not the continuity scale? It maybe grounded on a mega ohm scale.
    The windings are just not hitting anything going to ground. A motor can trip breakers if the windings have over heated and the resistance between the windings become too low. Usually from a section of them melting, or burning together.

Quote Originally Posted by rackrookie View Post

By the way, any suggestion for speeding up the process of removing the old gaskets adhered to the semihermetic metal? The knife scrapping method seems to slow to me?

Yeah what he said and the gasket thing..use a ball pean hammer(spelling)
    Lightly tap directly on the gasket and it will break loose.

Another market guy told me this...it works great.

using Copeland's electrical handbook, get the resistance value of the winding in ohms. if yours does't jive with the book, compressor is toast. turn to turn shorts are not shorts to ground, but will trip breaker. value should be within 5%. most bad windings are not shorts to ground but rather turn to turn shorts. you don't have to guess, just compare Ohm readings to specs.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    using Copeland's electrical handbook, get the resistance value of the winding in ohms. if yours does't jive with the book, compressor is toast. turn to turn shorts are not shorts to ground, but will trip breaker. value should be within 5%. most bad windings are not shorts to ground but rather turn to turn shorts. you don't have to guess, just compare Ohm readings to specs.
    Once again, rocket speaks the truth.

Check to the spec.

for the gasket, i use brass wire brush on drill.

Did you megg out the windings yet? That will for sure verify the integrity of the windings and their condition.

Quote Originally Posted by scott210 View Post
    for the gasket, i use brass wire brush on drill.

Same here

Knock off the big chunks and hit 'er with the wire wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by NedFlanders View Post
    Yeah what he said and the gasket thing..use a ball pean hammer(spelling)
    Lightly tap directly on the gasket and it will break loose.

Another market guy told me this...it works great.
    smack that gasket hard !!! its already bad !!!

I use the small scotchbrite pads that go on the end of a drill just cover the cylinders with a rag first. Also the same thing rocket said check the Copeland electrical handbook for winding ohm values A good book to have on the truck also.
    Would the last person to leave NJ please put out the lights

Quote Originally Posted by AngryReferGuy View Post
    smack that gasket hard !!! its already bad !!!

You are too slow..got you again

an old trick

Dont use oil to apply your new gaskets. Most of us learned to soak our gaskets in oil before applying them. Years after learning this I learned sometimes its the use of oil when installing new gaskets that makes them stick.
    I always used a single edge razor blade or a sharp gasket removal tool

i use a monster scraper.. Like what they use to scrape stickers off windshields.. works great..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast