Lennox Pulse G14 Issues -- PLEASE HELP

Guys,

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

First off I am a relative novice to home repairs in general and furnaces in particular. I bough my home 8 months ago and replaced the AC over the summer. The furnace (Lennox G14) worked fine last winter.

Now. A few weeks ago, the furnace stopped working. I read some post on here, and had to hit the control board a few times to get it to start. It got worse and worse where I was having to do this 4 times a day. A tech guy came out, and wanted $XXX to replace the control board. He couldn't figure out anything else was wrong.

Instead, I purchased a control board from this site for $XXX, and the unit worked fine after for a few days. In fact, it had worked fine for a few days with the old control board after the guy had also cleaned the unit a little and put in a new flapper (is that right?, circular 3" paper like thing in the main chanber).

This morning the furnace was out again after being good for almost 5 days. Now the issue is different though. Now the light is OFF when I come downstairs to look at it. I flip the switch to turn it off and on.

What happens is it comes on (low rumbling noise). Then it tries to start a couple times with no luck. Then it starts for a few seconds and dies off again. It does this for a few minutes. Then finally it will come back on again.

Once, after the tech guy left, it did the same thing and the error light on the control board read "Low flame sense". It doesnt do that any more though.

Here is what I am thinking:
    1. The tech guy had checked the gas and made a small adjustment with a screw driver ... could it be it's not getting enough gas now??

2. When I replaced the control board, I did not replace the red sensor cable that came with the unit. Should I have done that?

3. Could it be the spark plug?

Any and ALL ideas would be helpful. I already put $XXX into this and don't want to spend too much more. I might just replace it otherwise.

Thanks.
    Last edited by HeyBob; 12-07-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Removed Pricing!

First of all, none of us here would or could trouble-shoot your unit sight unseen. I want to raise a couple of concerns however in the course of answering your question(s).

First of all, this is a classic case of why untrained individuals should not try to service their own equipment, including replacing parts.

I would clarify that you did not get parts "from this site" but may have stumbled across someone who would sell you a part (which they should not have).

It also concerns me that you are flipping back and forth between working on the unit yourself and having a tech look at it.

I can't quite figure out exactly when or what the tech did by your post. You did the board replacement yourself after being told that it needed to be replaced, however, you refer to the tech making adjustments on the unit.

Was this done before or after the board was replaced? And why haven't you called the tech back out?

You will probably take this personally, but I can't help that. You have no business trying to work on this unit yourself. You are an accident waiting to happen.

I feel sorry for the tech that did come out, because if you do something that ultimately results in property damage or worse, injury, you will probably want to put the blame on the hapless tech who tried to help.

Anytime I see a post such as yours I think it may also be a set-up. That's where someone in the industry just puts together a scenario that he knows will get everyone riled.

I can assure you I am telling you what everyone else on this site is 'thinking.'

Leave the repairs to a professional.

Sounds like, as is usually the case, your effort to save a few bucks is going to wind up costing you much more in the long run. I just hope you don't hurt yourself or someone else in the process.

Virtually everything you have mentioned should be addressed by a professional. Contact a local dealer who handles the Lennox product and has for some time. They will be familiar with the product and the proper service procedures.

There are some things associated with the Pulse you don't even know about that they do!

all the best, Irish
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

I don't take it personally. But no, I'm not paying some tech $XXX to replace a part that is pretty standard to take off an on (I saw him do it), when I can do it myself pretty easily myself.

The issue is that I would rather spend $XXX to get a new unit than spend $XXX to fix a part.

So if I can fix it myself and keep it going for a year or 2, I will. If not, I will spend the money on a new unit.

I reposted this call for help from another site (where also sells parts, so sorry it wasn't edited for this site).

Secondly, I am NOT working on the unit really ... I wouldn't attempt to take the unit apart and fix it. But something simple and easy (like the control board) I will. Sorry if thats offensive to you.

Why would this post rile you??? I simply posted a problem and if you can help great, if not then don't reply. I am seeking help to see if I can resolve this issue cheaply, simply and on my own. If I can't I don't want to pay a tech more to fix it than it would cost to replace it. Simple as that.

You seem like you're in the industry ... I think you are taking it personal.
    In my industry (internet), we have amatuers trying to make websites on their own. I don't take it personally ... it's a good way to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmist View Post
    First of all, none of us here would or could trouble-shoot your unit sight unseen. I want to raise a couple of concerns however in the course of answering your question(s).

First of all, this is a classic case of why untrained individuals should not try to service their own equipment, including replacing parts.

I would clarify that you did not get parts "from this site" but may have stumbled across someone who would sell you a part (which they should not have).

It also concerns me that you are flipping back and forth between working on the unit yourself and having a tech look at it.

I can't quite figure out exactly when or what the tech did by your post. You did the board replacement yourself after being told that it needed to be replaced, however, you refer to the tech making adjustments on the unit.

Was this done before or after the board was replaced? And why haven't you called the tech back out?

You will probably take this personally, but I can't help that. You have no business trying to work on this unit yourself. You are an accident waiting to happen.

I feel sorry for the tech that did come out, because if you do something that ultimately results in property damage or worse, injury, you will probably want to put the blame on the hapless tech who tried to help.

Anytime I see a post such as yours I think it may also be a set-up. That's where someone in the industry just puts together a scenario that he knows will get everyone riled.

I can assure you I am telling you what everyone else on this site is 'thinking.'

Leave the repairs to a professional.

Sounds like, as is usually the case, your effort to save a few bucks is going to wind up costing you much more in the long run. I just hope you don't hurt yourself or someone else in the process.

Virtually everything you have mentioned should be addressed by a professional. Contact a local dealer who handles the Lennox product and has for some time. They will be familiar with the product and the proper service procedures.

There are some things associated with the Pulse you don't even know about that they do!

all the best, Irish
    Last edited by HeyBob; 12-07-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Removed Pricing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jugheadx72 View Post
    Why would this post rile you??? I simply posted a problem and if you can help great, if not then don't reply.
    Because if you would have read the rules you would have known we do not give DIY assistance to repair your HVAC system.

OK......First!

#1 READ the forum rules, there is a link in my signature line.

#2 NO DIY Help!

#3 All Lennox Pulse furnaces must be pressure tested to make sure the heat exchanger does not leak.

#4 You need a Lennox Dealer to do it for you.

#5 If it leaks, and it's less than 20 years old since you are not the original owner, Lennox has a replacement program to assist you.

#6 You need a contractor (Lennox Dealer) to look at that furnace, service it properly, PERIOD!

#7 Please follow my advice so no one get's hurt.

Thanks for your co-operation.
    Last edited by HeyBob; 12-07-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    Because if you would have read the rules you would have known we do not give DIY assistance to repair your HVAC system.
    Apologies if my message wasn't correct.

What I am asking is if someone might have an idea based on experiece where the trouble may lie ... NOT a step by step walkthrough on how to fix it.

Anyway, I thought that is what this website was about ... oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    Any boards you might recommend that are more in keeping with my question?

Quote Originally Posted by Jugheadx72 View Post

Any boards you might recommend that are more in keeping with my question?

You have a potentially dangerous furnace, you need you follow everyones advice. Obviously you have no intention of doing so!

THREAD CLOSED.