+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reach in freezer, R404A

Post Likes

Reach in freezer, R404A

Well, I found a bad compressor on top of a reach in freezer at a restaurant and I have to replace it next week. The unit runs on 404A, which I have never used before. I was just curious if anyone had any tips on working with R404A? Thanks

Post Likes
    We meet again...

Working with 404a is no different than working with any other refrigerant.

Follow best practices for compressor replacement, change the drier, pull good vacuum and make sure you left no leaks. Add refrigerant according to the box manuf plate and make sure you check the rest of the system too...

Defrost system, door heater and stat comes to mind. By that time the box will be almost at temp. If it gets below 20* you can normally relax, it will continue to pull down but... don't leave until it does.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by brooksstls View Post
    Well, I found a bad compressor on top of a reach in freezer at a restaurant and I have to replace it next week. The unit runs on 404A, which I have never used before. I was just curious if anyone had any tips on working with R404A? Thanks
    I will add to "luskers" comments. Find the reason for the failure or you will be replacing it again soon. Common causes on a freezer are improper defrost preventing oil return to the compressor, overheating (superheat too high), TXV problems and liquid floodback.

After you change the compressors get back with pressures,temperatures and amperage if you want more help on the diagnosis. Also, what was wrong with the existing compressor?

Compressor model number would also be helpful.

Post Likes

charging

404 has to added as a liq. due to the fact it is a mix & in gas form it will not have all of it's properties so charge in liq.

Post Likes
    Auto Body/Painter
    Be carefull its not 12V

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusker View Post
    I think sniffing paint is his hobby. To support it he's now sniffing refrigerant.

Man, I would love to be someone's flunky. In the past I was an auto tech for Toyota and then I got into paint/body. I was a painter for about 6 years or so. I can't believe how much of the...

his previous post
    My Bad i just find out he changed his field to HVACR
    Last edited by sarpanch2001; 12-07-2007 at 09:39 AM. Reason: add

Post Likes

liquid

I'll remember to charge as a liquid. Thanks.

Post Likes

if it's a cap tube

Change it. Bet the condenser was dirty or it ran hot at one time.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in