Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by chilly123 View Post
    I still mis just having the big three. life was much simpler then. such is life
    Ah, the good old days. The young guys are always amazed when I tell the that cooler and freezer compressors often ran for decades back then. It was fairly common to get 20-30 years from a Copelemetic or a B/W can.

yes, low temp R-12 and weber cases

Quote Originally Posted by chilly123 View Post
    I still mis just having the big three. life was much simpler then. such is life
    I only see 2 for the most part
    Rough Guess
    75% R507
    23%R22
    2% other (.00002%R12or 502)
    **This survey is subject to 2% error**

Whoever said "Life is easier when you don't sweat the small stuff" must have been a fridgy.
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    Ah, the good old days. The young guys are always amazed when I tell the that cooler and freezer compressors often ran for decades back then. It was fairly common to get 20-30 years from a Copelemetic or a B/W can.

Just changed out a valve plate on a 3ah-0200-tac unit, s/n 70d...., freezer @ -20 setpoint, R12 system still running in it. Wouldn't have to do that if the store would of kept up with maintenance and all. They let the unit run (at 10 degree ODA temp, 100 ft line set) with no evap fans for a few days. Finally went warm and they called us.
    Broke suction reeds and discharge valves leaked. Pumped down to 18" quickly but came right back up, when I did a valve leakage test. Found some copper plating going on in it but, to get more life out of unit we put on a new valve plate. Oh, it was the original valve plate to. 37 years old wow.
    So you didn't ask, what you though was a stupid question. Now how, are you going to tell the boss about your stupid screw up?

Digital Y/J

Did I see a set of digital yellow jacket gauges here? Nice!!!!
    "Keep it simple"

I remember the biggest problem in the changeover from the big 3 refrigerants, R12, R502 and R500 wasnt so much adapting to the many many alternates that came on the market, but it was more in the recovery equipment and processes. The technology really wasnt there.

We came up with all kinds of schemes to cool down the recovered refrigerants for the process and then heat them up in the equipment to pull it out.

One of the first recovery units we built was a semi hermetic 1/2 hp unit, tried water cooled with a hose and separate condensing coils, water jackets on the compressors and more. Imagine hauling that stuff on a roof. Changing the oil each time or adding as the valves began to fail. Back then recovery units that worked half ass would cost about 4 Gs and weighed 3-400 pounds.
    Half way through recovery we were often looking over our shoulders to make sure no one had a camera on us while we calculated what deminimus meant.

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    Usually, yes. Close coupled systems will probably do fine with mineral oil.

Hot Snot should get an oil change too, regardless of what ICOR says. Especially in a low temp application. Of course you shouldn't be using Hot Snot there anyway. MP-66 is the only R-12 replacement that works well at low temp.
    I agree Hot snot is not good for low temps, compared to MP66 (R401B).

MP 66 has more capacity and compressor temps run lower. MP66 iss a Win Win refrigerant alternative for R-12 .

The same should be said about HP80 (R402A). great low temp refrigerant, and compressor runs lower in temps, another win win. It is reccomended that these refrigerant have a A-B synthetic oil employed with there use, oil types and SU values should be considered for type of compressor or what the Compressor oe suggest for use.

Regards R-T
    "Keep it simple"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123