Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supco cap tubes

supco cap tubes

What's your experience with supco's cap tubes?How well do they work when installed according to their chart?

I think I know what you're getting at...

You're right, sometimes the charts seem to be way off. When this happens to me I just adjust the charge and make sure the info is noted on the box.

To adjust the easy way... unplug the evap fan and charge until you get a frost line that stops just before the compressor. Go easy adding refrig and take your time. Plug the evap fan back in. You'll be very close if not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusker View Post
    To adjust the easy way... unplug the evap fan and charge until you get a frost line that stops just before the compressor. Go easy adding refrig and take your time. Plug the evap fan back in. You'll be very close if not perfect.
    Never tried the frost back method,would you do this with a freezer?

absolutely. It works like charging a static plate.

Caution though. Add your charge slow and let the frost line mature. Stop charging somewhere between 2 to 5 inches before the comp.

Be sure to weigh it in so you can mark the box plate.

I'll also suggest a Sporlan CAPT 032s drier and be sure to point the outlet end of the drier down. This will give you a liquid seal on the cap tube.

For some reason I just dont like Supco. I use the JB brand cap tubes. Their conversion chart seems to be pretty good.

Caution though. Add your charge slow and let the frost line mature. Stop charging somewhere between 2 to 5 inches before the comp.

I'll also suggest a Sporlan CAPT 032s drier and be sure to point the outlet end of the drier down. This will give you a liquid seal on the cap tube.
    Good info!

I've never tried this method either. If I'm charging a static ice cream box thats running a -25 evap, should'nt it frost all the way back to the compressor? A 20* superheat at the compressor would be a -5* suction line.

Hey Powell... yeah, too many UC units with retro juice under my belt with filthy condensers in enclosed areas. I think you have seen at least one Delfield haven't you?? LOL

Ace... I like both but you're right about the JB chart. Seems to be a little closer at times.

If there's one thing I hate it's an immature frost line!

Quote Originally Posted by ace12 View Post
    I've never tried this method either. If I'm charging a static ice cream box thats running a -25 evap, shouldn't it frost all the way back to the compressor? A 20* superheat at the compressor would be a -5* suction line.

I didn't say it was exactly like charging a static plate you just charge it like one by stopping the evap motor.

This is why you go slow and easy with the charge. When you charge like above and you let it run too long it will continue to frost back hard so, when you get it close, stop, and fire up the evap fan the evap coil will pull additional heat thus loosing the frost line and will decrease the superheat. (it's late but I think that's right)

I didn't say it was exactly like charging a static plate you just charge it like one by stopping the evap motor.

This is why you go slow and easy with the charge. When you charge like above and you let it run too long it will continue to frost back hard so, when you get it close, stop, and fire up the evap fan the evap coil will pull additional heat thus loosing the frost line and will decrease the superheat. (it's late but I think that's right)
    Gotcha

Howdy Powell. I used to hang out a lot in here, been kinda busy on assignment but trying to get back as a regular. See ya around the forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast