Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 16

Thread: supco cap tubes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,802

    supco cap tubes

    What's your experience with supco's cap tubes?How well do they work when installed according to their chart?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    12,280
    I think I know what you're getting at...

    You're right, sometimes the charts seem to be way off. When this happens to me I just adjust the charge and make sure the info is noted on the box.

    To adjust the easy way... unplug the evap fan and charge until you get a frost line that stops just before the compressor. Go easy adding refrig and take your time. Plug the evap fan back in. You'll be very close if not perfect.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusker View Post
    To adjust the easy way... unplug the evap fan and charge until you get a frost line that stops just before the compressor. Go easy adding refrig and take your time. Plug the evap fan back in. You'll be very close if not perfect.
    Never tried the frost back method,would you do this with a freezer?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    12,280
    absolutely. It works like charging a static plate.


    Caution though. Add your charge slow and let the frost line mature. Stop charging somewhere between 2 to 5 inches before the comp.

    Be sure to weigh it in so you can mark the box plate.

    I'll also suggest a Sporlan CAPT 032s drier and be sure to point the outlet end of the drier down. This will give you a liquid seal on the cap tube.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,886
    For some reason I just dont like Supco. I use the JB brand cap tubes. Their conversion chart seems to be pretty good.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusker View Post
    absolutely. It works like charging a static plate.


    Caution though. Add your charge slow and let the frost line mature. Stop charging somewhere between 2 to 5 inches before the comp.

    Be sure to weigh it in so you can mark the box plate.

    I'll also suggest a Sporlan CAPT 032s drier and be sure to point the outlet end of the drier down. This will give you a liquid seal on the cap tube.
    Good info!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusker View Post
    absolutely. It works like charging a static plate.


    Caution though. Add your charge slow and let the frost line mature. Stop charging somewhere between 2 to 5 inches before the comp.

    Be sure to weigh it in so you can mark the box plate.

    I'll also suggest a Sporlan CAPT 032s drier and be sure to point the outlet end of the drier down. This will give you a liquid seal on the cap tube.
    I've never tried this method either. If I'm charging a static ice cream box thats running a -25 evap, should'nt it frost all the way back to the compressor? A 20* superheat at the compressor would be a -5* suction line.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    12,280
    Hey Powell... yeah, too many UC units with retro juice under my belt with filthy condensers in enclosed areas. I think you have seen at least one Delfield haven't you?? LOL


    Ace... I like both but you're right about the JB chart. Seems to be a little closer at times.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusker View Post
    absolutely. It works like charging a static plate.


    Caution though. Add your charge slow and let the frost line mature. Stop charging somewhere between 2 to 5 inches before the comp.

    Be sure to weigh it in so you can mark the box plate.

    I'll also suggest a Sporlan CAPT 032s drier and be sure to point the outlet end of the drier down. This will give you a liquid seal on the cap tube.
    If there's one thing I hate it's an immature frost line!




  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    12,280
    Quote Originally Posted by ace12 View Post
    I've never tried this method either. If I'm charging a static ice cream box thats running a -25 evap, shouldn't it frost all the way back to the compressor? A 20* superheat at the compressor would be a -5* suction line.

    I didn't say it was exactly like charging a static plate you just charge it like one by stopping the evap motor.

    This is why you go slow and easy with the charge. When you charge like above and you let it run too long it will continue to frost back hard so, when you get it close, stop, and fire up the evap fan the evap coil will pull additional heat thus loosing the frost line and will decrease the superheat. (it's late but I think that's right)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusker View Post
    I didn't say it was exactly like charging a static plate you just charge it like one by stopping the evap motor.

    This is why you go slow and easy with the charge. When you charge like above and you let it run too long it will continue to frost back hard so, when you get it close, stop, and fire up the evap fan the evap coil will pull additional heat thus loosing the frost line and will decrease the superheat. (it's late but I think that's right)
    Gotcha

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    12,280

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,626
    Howdy Powell. I used to hang out a lot in here, been kinda busy on assignment but trying to get back as a regular. See ya around the forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event