Installer wants to remove chimney

We had new furnace and central AC units along all new returns/supplies installed in the basement and lower level of our 95 year old house 2 months ago. The installer ran new supply duct up to the 2nd floor through the chimney to new ceiling vents, using the old inside wall supply ducts as the new returns. He ran into a problem with a narrowing of the chimney and wasn't able to get the size (8"X14"?) that he had planned to install and had to run 3 oval metal ducts instead. We are not seeing the air flow we had hoped for and his suggestion is to dismantle the chimney and run the original sized supply. He has been great to work with and has done a quality install so far. I have volunteered to take down the chimney and he will do the duct work for free as part of the original install. He says it will be easy as the mortar is crumbling. I'm concerned about it being load bearing in some way. Is this common in older homes?

You should call a licienced building contractor and pay him for his advise on this matter before removing that chimney. Chimney are load bearing upon themselves and not the structure, but I have seen some old homes that I swear were held up by a chimney

you really need to get trained eyes in for a look at that one. on a house that old it could go either way.

I should make it clear that the top of the chimney was removed years ago when the roof was replaced. It currently is flush with the floor joists in the attic.

i would still get it looked at, no one hear can see it if we did know what to look for.........

You should hire an Architect to answer that question.

No! There is only so much you can do with a retro fit.Sales people promise all kinds of things that the install man cant do because of objects not found biding the job.The guy is going to kill himself or somebody else for airflow.

i personally have removed several chimneys but never any through the business
    most of the time its not a problem, it will be hard work and a lot of dirt but other then that its not usually an issue but without seeing it there is no way for me to know

The only time I have seen chimneys carrying any structural load was with over 100 year old rowhomes in Baltimore City. Most chimneys are not used to support any building structure. This is easy enough to verify as you remove the chimney. If you run into any wood beams entering the chimney structure, you can assume the chimney is being used for structural purposes.

I've even seen a two story chimney fall about two feet when a homeowner dug out his crawl space too close to the chimney foundation. Since all of the building structure was designed for the chimney to go through it, the chimney falling did no structural damage and was able to be lifted back into place with a jack.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV