xif specification

I am trying to find a document with detailed explanations of how an xif file is composed. Especially, the network variable self-documentation part.

There are something in LONMARK® Device Interface File Reference Guide and LONMARK® Application-Layer Interoperability Guidelines. But they both do not provide enough details for me to figure out all elements on Lines 3 – N of a Network Variable Definition. Can any Lon expert help? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by leaflying View Post
    There are something in LONMARK® Device Interface File Reference Guide and LONMARK® Application-Layer Interoperability Guidelines. But they both do not provide enough details for me to figure out all elements on Lines 3 – N of a Network Variable Definition.
    Hey Leaf,
    Whad'ya tryin to do? I don't think this question is on the LonMark Certification exam.
    The LonMark Device Interface Reference Guide is pretty complete. Line 3 of the Network variable definition includes the self documentation string which is described in the LonMark Application layer guidelines.
    Maybe posting the XIF line and what your trying to achieve will yield the clarity you seek.
    Cheers,
    lb
    A hundred million nodes - it's a LON story.

Hey lb,
    Thanks for your reply.

For Line3, I was trying to figure out the meaning of those letters after " and before \x80, especially the first character (&, ~, @ or $) and here are some examples.

"&1,3,0\x80.............
    "~1,1,4\x80............
    "@1#4231;.............
    "$1#4316;..............

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any. But it must be explained somewhere.

"@1#4231;
    1 is the functional block index and 4231 is the member number

"&1,3,0\x80
    CP definition, but appears to be incomplete

"~1,1,4\x80
    "$1#4316;
    These ones are proprietary I think