Proper venting for my new Rheem Mod furnace

Here's a puzzle from the recent installation of a Rheem Prestige modulating gas furnace.

Which one of these is supposed to be the intake and which the exhaust? Originally, the lower one -- with the 45 degree ending -- was the exhaust and the upper -- with the two 90s -- was the intake.

This installation was done with a partial state subsidy for energy-related improvements, on the condition that a state energy audit person be allowed to verify the work in person and make recommendations for anything not done to the program specs. Well, the state guy came out and had a fit because he said these two pipes were supposed to be installed the other way around. My contractor has since come out and reversed them (upper with the two 90s is now the exhaust), along with a few other modifications that the energy audit required. He told me that he didn't agree with the state recommendation but would do it in order to comply. SoI am left wondering: Who's right? Ideas???
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Top one SHOULD be the exhaust and bottom the intake. If not, you will recirculate.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Top one SHOULD be the exhaust and bottom the intake. If not, you will recirculate.
    Okay...that's pretty much what I thought. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post

agreed..

What else did they have you do?